Determine size of the database

• I am working on Sql Server 2012. and I have multiple databases there. Out of those, i want to move one of my databases to other SQL server 2012, For that i was trying to get approximate size of my database on current server. As i don't have the admin rights, so i can't get that. Can i get the approximate size by right clicking on database and by using the size property Under Database category to get the size idea?

• Can i get the approximate size by right clicking on database and by using the size property Under Database category to get the size idea?

if I understand your question correctly. The answer is yes.

Right-click DB, go to properties... The size is under Database - it says, "size"

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Thank You. and for Table size, Right Click-> Properties -> Storage-> Index Space+Data Space will give the size of the table.. right?

• For two tables, data is less in one table from other table but size (data space+index space) is higher then the other table. What could be the reason?

• The tables are stored in pages, and those in extents. Those get allocated, and depending on the way they're allocated and data is added/deleted, it's possible the allocations don't match. Especially true when data is deleted and the tables haven't had the clustered index rebuilt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply