Dev and UAT environment

• Hello,

I do not know much about sql server DBA tasks but my next project will be to setup a Dev, UAT environment.

Currently there is a production server.

There will be allocated one server for Dev and another server for the UAT environment.

As far as I know, I should install sql server on each of the Dev and the UAT server, then get a latest backup from production and restore to the Dev and the UAT servers.

Questions:

1- Is my assumption above correct?

2- What should I consider and do to have a successful setup from start to finish for these environment?

3- Any thing you can add to this for me to learn?

4- is there a link y ou can guide me for this kind of setup for me to study before I start t his project?

kind regards

• arkiboys (4/19/2016)

Hello,

I do not know much about sql server DBA tasks but my next project will be to setup a Dev, UAT environment.

Currently there is a production server.

There will be allocated one server for Dev and another server for the UAT environment.

As far as I know, I should install sql server on each of the Dev and the UAT server, then get a latest backup from production and restore to the Dev and the UAT servers.

Questions:

1- Is my assumption above correct?

2- What should I consider and do to have a successful setup from start to finish for these environment?

3- Any thing you can add to this for me to learn?

4- is there a link y ou can guide me for this kind of setup for me to study before I start t his project?

kind regards

Does you production system contain any sensitive data? For example any credit card details, personal details such as names \ addresses etc?

The reason I ask is you should not have sensitive data in your DEV \ UAT environments as usually these are less controlled than production.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• You are probably going to have to refresh the environments from Production from time to time so it will be worth automating this process as much as you can. You might also want to start thinking about how you are going to manage changes to the database going from Development to UAT and then to Production.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply