Development versus production

• I have another question about setup up a new project.

In my file based DB I had a development copy of the DBs and debugged against it before building an exe for the production side.

In SQL server is this typically done by having a development and production DB on the same server, or is it better to develop on SQL Server Express and use SQL Server for the production side.

Am I allowed to install SQL Server on my XP machine for development without buying another copy?

Thanks in advance

Fred

• My advice.

Never have production and development DB's on the same SQL Server. Its just too easy to make mistakes

Have a completely separate machine for development DB's.

I don't know if your licence will allow you a development copy on XP.

If at all possible, you should not be able to get to the production DB from your development machine, unless you go through another application such as terminal services or citrix In our organisation the production servers have a red windows background, and a custom theme to distinguish them. You should not be able to have Management Studio open with one window on a development DB and another on production.

You yourself may be competent and careful - but there will come a time when you're in a hurry or distracted or you'll show someone else ...

• I agree with Tom. You don't want development and production databases on the same server. A reason he did not mention is that you are trying out things in DEV and if you mess up you could basically take down your production server.

I wouldn't use Express although you could. I think you can get a copy of SQL Server Developer Edition for like $50, that;s what I'd use, although you need to be careful because Developer Edition includes all the Enterprise only features so if you are using Standard Edition for production you need to be careful not to use the Enterprise only features in Dev.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Thanks. Since I am targeting SQL Server 2005 I assume it is better to buy the 2005 developer edition instead of the 2008.

• Yes, get the edition you are targeting. You could set the DB in 2005 compatibility mode, but I'd get 2005 Developer. If you have MSDN you can download it still.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply