Devlopment and production environment

• i need to create a test environment and move all existing databases from an existing sql server to our more robost sql cluster, and turn the old server to a test server.

what tools do you recommend

is there some where to info on the best way to proceed

can i rename the sql servers to reflect which is test and which is prod, even though they have been up and running for ever.

any additional info and advice, tips etc would be appreciated.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]It is what it is.

• Backup and restore the databases on to the new server

• -- IF you can take the DB's offline you using SQL7+ you can also detach the DB and copy the file(s) to the new server.

It just saves you the backup restore time.  But don't do it unless you feel comfortable doing it.  Otherwise do the backup/restore.

Curtis Smith
    SQL Server DBA
    Well in worked in Theory ...

• Thanks all. wish me luck!!

[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]It is what it is.

• Changing a cluster name is fraught with problems, I speak from experience < grin >, moving the databases about is fine, I have 8 environments where we do this on a regular basis - if you're going to move the logins with master make sure you recreate your servers with the databases in the same dbid order.

You do need to control access carefully, especially linked/remote servers / net/com servers to make sure you don't get any environment cross contamination. We use Litespeed which means we have smaller backups to move about. Your options depend on database size I guess.

We have specific server naming so we know which environment they belong to. Database names we usually leave the same.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• When you do this migration, don't forget to migrate the users "correctly".  I can't tell you how many posts I've seen with people crying over this one. 

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/2228611

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply