Diagrams

• Hi all,

how can I transfer diagrams from a source database to destination database ?

I have tried throught DTS but it doesn't work and throught a backup I lose the diagrams in the destinatation database.

Thanks

• See this MS KB Article: How To Move a Database Diagram

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320125/en-us

Mark

• If you want to import just ONE diagram by name.. do the following using Query Analyzer..

/* Create this table if it doesn't already exist in your target DataBase

CREATE TABLE [dtproperties] (

[id] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,

[objectid] [int] NULL ,

[property] [varchar] (64) COLLATE database_default NOT NULL ,

[value] [varchar] (255) COLLATE database_default NULL ,

[uvalue] [nvarchar] (255) COLLATE database_default NULL ,

[lvalue] [image] NULL ,

[version] [int] NOT NULL DEFAULT (0),

CONSTRAINT [pk_dtproperties] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[id],

[property]

) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

*/

-- Now, from the NEW Server.. in the TARGET DB..

-- and you will need a linked Server to the SourceServerName.DbName

INSERT

INTO dbo.dtproperties

(

objectid, property, uvalue, value, lvalue, version)

SELECT

objectid

, property, uvalue, value, lvalue, version

FROM

SourceServerName.DbName.dbo.dtproperties

WHERE

objectid =

(SELECT objectid FROM SourceServerName.DbName.dbo.dtproperties

WHERE property = 'DtgSchemaName'AND value = 'MyDiagramName')

- hth

Mark

• Thanks for your help.

I moved the diagrams perfectly.

Regards

UPDATE:

I have just tried to move another diagram to another database but in the "Select Source Table and Views" page I can not select the dtproperties table.

If I go to EM I can see this table (dtproperties) as system table in the destination databse but in the Export Data proccess I can not select it when I do click in the Results destination

Must I delete the table and to create it again?

I do the DTS proccess by sa.

Any ideas for this problem?

Thanks

• I always do this in Query Analyzer.. I just keep the script handy in my Tips_n_Tricks folder and use it when I need it.

Doing this in DTS.. I dunno.. it *should work the same... however if you are running the DTS from a JOB, that will change things somewhat as the DTS is then run under whatever credentials SqlServer Agent is running under, so you could have a permissions issue there but you should also be getting some kind of error message.

Once I have the dtProperties table, I never have to create it again, as the rows must exist there for the the diagram to exist.  Can you try running the script in QA?

- Mark

• I ran the script in QA but I had the result 0 rows affected when I inserted the values into dtproperties table in the destination database.

Firstly, I created the dtproperties table in the destination database and it was created without problems. Later, I tried to insert into the table one diagram (I have three in the source database) but I receive always the result '0 rows affected'.

I don't understand that because when I return all rows from this table in the source database I can see the diagrams.

On the other hand I utilized the DTS because I saw the microsoft article about 'How to move a database diagram' and I moved all diagrams at the same time (in another database), but your script is good because I can only move one diagram.

I have tested with new databases that I have created but the results are the same in QA

Thanks for your help

• Try running just the SELECT portion of the script.  Do you get any rows returned?  You're going to have to troubleshoot this one step at a time.  The script always works for me.  Be sure of the EXACT spelling of the diagram name that you are specifying in your WHERE clause.  Other than that, I don't know what could be wrong.

- Mark

• Hi Mark,

I've just seen the error to move my diagrams one per one with your script.

Firstly, I ran just de SELECT portion as you told me and the result was always '0 rows affected' but if I ran select * from dtproperties I could see all rows with my diagrams.

The problem was in the WHERE clause "'property = 'DtgSchemaName'" instead of diagram name because of my server is case sensitive then I saw in the result of QA that property value was DtgSchemaNAME.

That was the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply