Differential Backup failure(s)

• All of my differental backups are failing. The only thing that has happened is that they moved my volume on the NETapp from one spot to another. Here is an example of the errors I'm getting. Anyone have any advice:

Executed as user: HFC\JOTS-SQL_Admin. The backup data in '\\jots-storage\sqlclstr1_backup_share\MSSQL\Backups\CAT2\CAT2_Diff.BAK' is incorrectly formatted. Backups cannot be appended, but existing backup sets may still be usable. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3266) BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013) The media family on device '\\jots-storage\sqlclstr1_backup_share\MSSQL\Backups\CAT2\CAT2_Diff.BAK' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3241) VERIFY DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013). The step failed.

• It sounds like moving the files made it so SQL Server cannot verify them before appending the new differential backup.

My advice would be to do new full backups then do a differential with init or format to overwrite the existing file.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Full backups are done every sunday. THey worked with no issues. The t-log backups work just as well also. I deleted the diff backup from before we started having the issue and still am getting the same error. Should I try pointing the differential backup to a different location?

• got it - I deleted the Diff backup file and ran the job and it worked as it should...............

what a pain in the butt

• check history of job & reschedule it

• ch.mohini (8/6/2008)

check history of job & reschedule it

Why are you opening threads where an obvious resolution has been found or offered already, while adding little or no value to the topic? I'm not trying to be mean but simply trying to make you a little more aware of posting etiquette..

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply