Differential Backup not being take.

• Hi

I have a SQL Server 2008 instance. For 2 databases in this instance i have set up a full backup at 4:00 am and differential backups every 4 hours starting from 6:00 am.

Some days a differential backup does not occur at 2:00 am. On other days there are no issues.

Checking the backup log shows this error " BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Cannot perform a differential backup for database "mydb", because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option." But the previous day's full backup is there . Checking the web took me to ms site where someone had posted the same error and ms closed the error because they could not reproduce the error.:crazy:

"Keep Trying"

• This is a shot in the dark, but could it be that someone restored the database between the full backup and differential backup?

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Adi

Nobody has restored the database. I checked the restorehistory table in msdb just to confirm it.

How come only the 2:00 am backup is not being taken where as the next one at 6:00 is taken successfully.

"Keep Trying"

• Hi... Anybody who can shed some light on this.

"Keep Trying"

• I too am having this problem.

In my case, I have:

Full backup 5/1/10 OK

Diff backup 5/2/10 OK

Diff backup 5/3/10 FAIL

Diff backup 5/4/10 FAIL

All the while, my hourly log backups are working ok. It seems I can only get one diff backup after making a full backup. I saw some post about this problem occuring with sql 2005, but I have 2008 64-bit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply