Disable the menu promt to start on a specific job step when running jobs through SSMS Job Agent

• Is there anyway to disable the menu prompt that comes up when you run a job with multiple steps in sql 2005? the purpose of the menu is to have a multiple step job in the job activity monitor and then be able to choose which step you want to run the job from.

In our scenario, we always want to start our job from step #1 so that menu is a bit of an annoyance. So if anyone knows how to disable it, please let me know, It woud be great to learn how to do that.

I observed that if you have a single step job, then menu doesn't come up which makes logical sense. so I was thinking maybe somewhere burried in the system tables there might be a flag or something to turn it off.

Thank you all for anyone who helps! this is always such a great forum!

• Asha.Richardson-1129890 (6/24/2010)

In our scenario, we always want to start our job from step #1 so that menu is a bit of an annoyance.

Forgive me if my question is silly. I thought I will ask it anyway.

Have you scheduled your job?

Jobs are almost always scheduled. Hence there is no need it to run manually.

They are re-run manually, only when they fail to run due to some issue. So selecting the step is normally not an inconvenience.

If your job fails most of the time, you can add retry attempt to it.

Also root cause it to prevent it from failing most of the time.

Hope this makes sense.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply