Disable use of SQL Enterprise Manager

• I want to remove the ability of some of my users to connect to a database using SQL Enterprise Manager. I would still like the users to have the ability to use Query Analyzer. What access rights do I need to remove from a login to achieve this?

• Remove rights from a login is nothing to do with stoping users to use EM.

You can delete following MMC from user's machine C:\WINNT\system32\mmc.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC" but they can always copy it from somewhere back.

Be remember, QA is very powerfull and can do anything without using EM. The only way is tight the access rights.

• I was experimenting one evening with security on a development server  and I wanted to revoke access 'public' access to all of the system supplied tables. I am the SA on that server and I did not suffer any ill effects, however, the next morning I recieved a phone call from a person who used EM exclusively, that EM was not working correctly, I backed out the changes that I had made and they where able to use EM again.

Public now does not have rights to those tables but the developers role still does.

This is not a direct answer to your question, but it may be a lead. I know that EM is effected, but I don't know how it effects QA, it's worth a look.

Good luck,

Eric

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply