Disaster Recovery [?]

• I don't really know how this landed in my lap, but we've got a bit of a problem.

Through a comedy of errors, another developer's upgrade package overwrote the MDF file of the SQL Server 2000 database his application uses. The person doing the install did not make a backup before applying the update.

The last backup was from the last update... 4/23. It was done simply by copying the MDF and LDF files while the SQL Server was shut down. The trasaction log up until last night is still there and from what we've determined the developer never put in any kind of SQL maintenance plan, so as far as we know, it contains everything since the last backup.

This morning I got grabbed when I walked in and told to get the customers data back, as though I'm a DBA... I guess because I have the sense to create maintenance plans for my databases and test my upgrades before sending them to a customer.

I can attach the files from the 4/23 set and get them back to that point, but can't seem to figure out how to use the transaction log from before the upgrade to playback it's transactions to bring them up to date.

Can anyone help, or are they just screwed?

• I don't believe you can get the data back. Transaction log backups (and differential backups) must be applied to the FULL BACKUP made prior to them. Had someone made a FULL BACKUP when the database was set up, then you could restore that backup and then the transaction log.

Sorry, I guess this is where you explain to the powers that be about doing proper backups especially before making changes.

-SQLBill

• it is not possible to get data if there is no backup .

if u got .LDF upto date u can try some tool

to get data back.

Try this http://www.lumigent.com/capture.php.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply