Disaster Recovery for many Databases

• I manage approximately 700 databases on a single cluster. Each database represents a different client. This model has worked very well, and it isolates issues to a particular client. As you can imagine though, this is an administration nightmare. We have developed (and purchased) several applications to aid in the administration. One area that we have had issues is Disaster Recovery. Our past environment included a single data center and we have a custom log shipping process in place in the same location as the production environment that loops through and restores the logs as needed. Recently, we have started setting up redundancy in a backup data center, and that has led to issues of me being able to keep the data in sync. The latency that has increased has led to issues with the log shipping.

What I am looking for is suggestions and advice on how to better manage this situation.

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and advice.

Regards,

Keith West

• Bigger bandwidth, QOS, more machines to spread the load. Not sure how else you can do this.

• you could use litespeed ( or redgate's product ) this gives smaller files plus quicker backups and restores - may help where bandwidth is restricted.

faster arrays will also give faster backups and copies, more procs will allow litespeed to work quicker.

Basically as Steve says - more !

Other than that not much else I can think of really.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Thanks alot for the advice. I am going to start breaking this up into more manageable pieces and do as you said and spread the process across multiple servers and devices.

I'm curious how many other environments have many databases segregated by customer or some other entity. I couldn't really locate this scenario on the web. This environment was already setup when I started as DBA, and after working with it a while I can see the advantages. It is relatively stable with the major drawback being administration, and we have solved that with some fairly simple tools.

Regards,

Keith West

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply