Disaster - Recovery Order of events

• we are trying to simulate a disater recovery of our SQL2000 and SQL2005 development servers. Which is the order in which we should restore the DBs. I am talking specifically of MSDB, master and user DBs; should we restore user DBs before master and MSDB?

Thanks,

Carlos

• I dont think there is any particular order for the restore process.....you can restore user db and then system dbs........well you can perform these disaster recovery between 2 sql 2000 servers or b/w 2 sql 2005 servers........but dont try the cross order as you can't restore the sql 2005 dbs in sql 2000.

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• It all depends upon how disasterous your disaster is.  If sql server is still running then it may not matter which database you restore first but I would probably start with master, model, msdb and then your user databases.

When you restore master, you must be in single user mode.

If you have to reinstall from scratch and the machine name is the same, it is best (if not required) to do in the order above.

If the machine name is different, you have a challenge ahead of you.  Do some web searches to get more details.  I am looking into do backup scripts that will rebuild users, jobs, etc. so will not have to do restores to a different machine name of the system databases.

There is no substitute for actually doing it.

Steve

• Your safest way would be to restore master & msdb first. msdb has all of your jobs and DTS packages, it would be easy to forget restoring it once your user databases are up, so I'd do it first.

Master, of course, has all of your database meta-information.

I haven't done a true DR restore test yet, but I would think that if you're building a new server from the ground on up, when you restore the master DB with SQL not running, you can restore your other system DB files (if you had file backups) and you're OK. If you have SQL backups, restore Master and your databases would probably be offline/suspect since the MDF/NDF/LDF files aren't there. But you should be able to query that information out of the system tables. Recreate the databases, then restore from your backup.

I really need to get ahold of a spare server and work on this! I have a very good backup methodology in place for DR, but I haven't yet built a server from the ground-up to test my systems.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply