discusssion forum,thread,messages,totalnumber of replies last post date

• I need help with the following query

Table 1:

ThreadID, SectionID,OpenDate,CloseDate

Table 2:

MessageID, MessageTitle,MessageSender,MessageDate,MessageThread,MessageParent

The message has messageparent=0 for the main thread

the message which is a reply will have the messageparent is the message that the sender replied to

Messagethread is the threadid that the message belongs to

I want to display

threadid, messagetitle, numberofreplies,lastpostdate for the main threads

The following is to create the tables and insert information into them

CREATE TABLE [ForumThread]([ThreadID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,[ThreadSection] [int] NOT NULL,[OpenDate] [datetime] NOT NULL,[CloseDate] [datetime] NOT NULL,[Deleted] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [PK_ForumThread] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

([ThreadID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 100) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

-----------------------------------------------------

CREATE TABLE[ThreadMessage](

[MessageID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[MessageSender] [int] NOT NULL,

[MessageThread] [int] NOT NULL,

[MessageParent] [int] NOT NULL,

[MessageTitle] [nvarchar](100) NOT NULL,

[MessageDate] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[MessageContent] [nvarchar](max) NOT NULL,

[UpdateDate] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[Deleted] [bit] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_ThreadMessage] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[MessageID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 100) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [ThreadMessage] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_ThreadMessage_ForumThread1] FOREIGN KEY([MessageThread])

REFERENCES [ForumThread] ([ThreadID])

GO

ALTER TABLE [ThreadMessage] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_ThreadMessage_ForumThread1]

GO

-----------------------------------------------

INSERT INTO [ForumThread]

([ThreadSection],[OpenDate],[CloseDate],[Deleted]) VALUES (1,'1/1/2011','2/2/2012',0)

GO

INSERT INTO [ForumThread]

([ThreadSection],[OpenDate],[CloseDate],[Deleted]) VALUES (1,'1/10/2011','2/10/2012',0)

GO

------------------------------------

INSERT INTO [ThreadMessage]([MessageSender],[MessageThread],[MessageParent],[MessageTitle] ,[MessageDate],[MessageContent],[UpdateDate],[Deleted])

VALUES (1,1,0,'Introduction','1/1/2012','Please Introduce yourself to the class','1/1/2012',0)

GO

INSERT INTO [ThreadMessage]([MessageSender],[MessageThread],[MessageParent],[MessageTitle] ,[MessageDate],[MessageContent],[UpdateDate],[Deleted])

VALUES (2,1,1,'RE:Introduction','1/2/2012','My Name is Mark. I am interested in sports.','1/2/2012',0)

GO

VALUES (3,1,1,'RE:Introduction','1/2/2012','My Name is Sou. I am interested in music.','1/2/2012',0)

GO

VALUES (4,1,2,'RE:Introduction','1/3/2012','My Name is Sam. Mark I think we met before. I am also interested in sports.','1/2/2012',0)

GO

------------------------------------

VALUES (1,2,0,'Chapter1','1/10/2012','Mention What you benefit from chapter1 ','1/10/2012',0)

GO

Thank you

• Using recursive CTEs

WITH Recur AS (

SELECT MessageThread,MessageContent,MessageID,MessageDate

FROM ThreadMessage

WHERE MessageParent=0

UNION ALL

SELECT r.MessageThread,r.MessageContent,m.MessageID,m.MessageDate

FROM ThreadMessage m

INNER JOIN Recur r ON r.MessageID=m.MessageParent

)

SELECT MessageThread AS ThreadID,

MessageContent AS MessageTitle,

COUNT(*) AS NumberOfReplies,

MAX(MessageDate) AS LastPostDate

FROM Recur

GROUP BY MessageThread,MessageContent

ORDER BY MessageThread;

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply