disk space going fast?

• Hello All,

We recently hired a Data Analyst and we use ProClarity in Conjunction with the 2005 BI tools for SQL Server. Prior to that analyst joining our company disk utilization was pretty static for months. Since December 21st disk utilization has increased by 31gb. This drive contains out MSSQL\Data folder and our MSOLAP\Data... folder niether of which appear to have increased dramatically in size.

Has anyone experienced this and if so were you able to find what was taking up the space. Basically what we have is about 24GB of "unaccounted for" space.

Thanks for any direction on this issue.

• I'd search out one of the disk utilities that maps out where your space is being used. Often these allow you to filter by dates.

Are you sure that the database or cube size hasn't just grown dramatically from new objects?

• Thanks Steve. I found info on two tools... SpaceMonger and winrar. Any experience with either?

When I go into the properties of any of the sub folders there has been very little (100mb) size change since I noticed the growth. But the properties of the root report a much higher number. The database and the cube are very slow growers.

The only two things that have changed are the increased analysis activity and Idera Diagnostic manager monitoring the sql instance. The repository is on a seperate drive.

What I see:

MSSQL folder - 107 gb

MSOLAP folder - 967 mb

SSIS_Packages folder - 585 mb

RECYCLER folder - empty

System Volume Information - empty

one other folder - 4kb

F:\ - 131 gb used. So as you can see there is something amiss with what is being reported and what I see.

I guess I'll try a tool to see if I can figure it out. Thanks again.

• found it...

The files are in system volum information folder. Had to uncheck the "hide protected operating system files" to see ~26 gb in 4 files.

BTW... That SpaceMonger is a pretty cool tool for disk management.

Guess I should go appologize for bad mouthing the new DA.

• WinRAR is a compression tool similar to Zip/Winzip. My guess is that someone on the server is using WinRAR to compress files. Search the machine for *.RAR (WinRAR can also compress in .ZIP format) and you will have a better idea of what is being stored as compressed files.

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

• Spacemonger is wonderfull .. and only about 230 kb in size ..

Also look at the options screen, delete can be disabled, and animations can also be disabled to increase speed. Double clicking on a folder will zoom in on that folder to give more info. Hoovering with the mouse over a folder will give total size.. very usefull tool to find 'missing' diskspace 😉

regards

Wim

Kindest Regards,

Wim van den Brink

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply