Displaying a pre-formatted text file as it is..

• Hi All,

As part of getting rid of an old reporting application, I was asked if there is a way I can achieve the functionality in SSRS.

There are several text files generated by some mainframe program formatting the text as and when requested by the users. The generated text files are dumped on a drive, from where the current reporting solution (web based report application) picks up and displays the text file(s) as it is...

The requirement is, to display those pre-formatted text file using SSRS reports and get rid of that reporting solution.

I searched online and did not found any option available straight from SSRS..

Any ideas will be appreciated..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Yes, you can use SSRS to display text files. The term you should be googling is resource.

A resource is a managed item that is stored on a report server, but is not processed by a report server. Typically, a resource provides external content to report users. Examples include an image in a .jpg file or an HTML file that describes the business rules used in a report. The JPG or HTML file is stored on the report server, but the report server passes the file directly to the browser rather than processing it first.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159711.aspx

The easiest way to ensure that it works for you is to upload a text file in Report Manager, after the file is uploaded it is viewable.

• Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.. I will explore this method..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply