Distance and replication

• Hi there,

I am looking for some site or article on replication issues and distance between sites. I have read a few articles, but I have found them still not clear. I understand the differences between synchronous and a-synchronous replication, and the importance of latency.

Anybody know of a good site on this subject? Googling has not helped me very much

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• You won't find one. I looked also.

You don't tell us what exactly you want to do (transactional or merge, I'm presuming you are not talking about snapshot) nor the actual volumes of data you want to push through. I can tell you from my own experience that merge works reasonably well over relatively high latency links.

I setup a replication topology using SQL Server 2000 for a retail chain here in Australia with stores in New Zealand and Canada. This was replicating sales and other transactional data including customer data. Most stores are connected with regular ADSL connections. Usually no more than 512kb/sec down.

I used filtered dynamic snapshots to keep the volume down but the initial snapshot was still in the order of 100MB in size per store. Each store was producing about 15MB per day in merge data. Not a big deal I would agree but when you multiply by the number of stores (approximately 200 and growing quickly) it was starting to become significant.

Like all retail companies, they are bunch of tight wads so there wasn't a lot of money to upgrade links et cetera so I was kind of surprised that it worked as well as it did.

• Tnx for repsonding, MArk. In the mean time I have found a few sites which gave me a better understanding of possible issues.

I did not mention what kind of repl was needed, because that is as of yet undecided: real-time continuous merge, or asynchronous transactional, even a snapshot is an option.

Glad to hear that a merge between canada and Australia poses no problems. I myself am reluctant to use merge because of the potential validationproblems.

Tnx again.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply