Distributed transaction completed. Either enlist this session in a new transaction or the NULL transaction

• I haver server A and B. Both servers have SQL Server 2000 SP3 and Windows 2000 Server SP4. Last week I upgraded the OS on server A to Windows 2003 SP1.

Since the upgrade, a DTS which pumps the data between server A and B begins to fail with the error "Distributed transaction completed. Either enlist this session in a new transaction or the NULL transaction."

I found this error in KB (834849) but the article mentions that this symptom happens because I have an instance of SQL 7 (which I don't have) ! It asks me to apply the INSTCAT.SQL. Is it safe to apply this script ? Please help.

Thanks, Jimmy

• Hi Jimmy,

You might need to do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817064/

Windows 2003 changes the default settings for DTC

hth jg

• Jeff, thank you so much for replying.

Since KB 834849 only mentioned SQL2000 SP3, so I apply SP4 hoping it will fix the problem. But it didn't fix. However the error message has changed to "Distributed Transaction Coordinator (msdtc) is not available".

I also executed the steps mentioned in KB 817064, except in last step I only restart SQL Server.  I'm still getting the same error (that I mentioned in above paragraph). Do I really need to restart MSMQ ?

Thanks, Jimmy

• Hi Jimmy,

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to reply.  I got a little busy...  Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.  It was so long ago that I upgraded to Win2.003K that I remember only bits and pieces.

jg

• Jeff, I really appreciate to take the time to answer me.

• The solution that fixed this issue for me was to start the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator" in the services

• Peter, Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my puzzle.

Actually by following the steps in KB 817064 would have worked if I also reboot the server B. After the reboot, DTS worked properly.

Thanks anyway, Jimmy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply