Distributing MSDE and MDAC service packs

• Anyone know where to get the merge modules for these? I am pretty sure we can get the merge modules for 2000 SP1, but I haven't found where to get SP2 yet. We have an MSDN subscription.

Steve Miller

SIL International

Steve Miller

• Looks like MSDE merge modules are on the SP2 cd only. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fservicepacks%2Fsql%2F2000%2Fsp2readme%2Easp

And I find no merge modle for the MDAC but several statements one may be available in the future.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• That's about as clear as I've seen it. <sigh> Thanks for pointing it out. For those interested, it says:

NOTE: Only the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 2 CD-ROM contains the merge modules or .msi files that are required to install a new instance of the Desktop Engine.

Since MDAC comes with the SQL Server SPs, I'm thinking they expect us to get the MDAC updates by virtue of getting the SQL Server SPs.

Steve

Steve Miller

• I think if you buy InstallShield they provide updated merge modules with the product. Worth checking. Hard to believe they don't make the merge modules generally available.

Andy

• We'll check into InstallShield.

It's not hard for me to believe that merge modules aren't generally available. At least, not for MSDE. It's great that MSDE is distributable royalty free, but sometimes doc and other things are hard to get a hold of.

Steve

Steve Miller

• Beware. Don't do what I did.

There are different ways to get SP2 for MSDE. The only one that has merge modules is the one that MSDN Universal subscribers can request.

Steve

Steve Miller

• What did you do?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Oh, I went and expressed the wrong disk. At $14 it is no great loss, but it is a little embarrassing. The readme you referred to above first says that the merge modules are on the SQL Server SP2 CD. It doesn't say until later that there are different forms of the CD. Turns out the only one that has merge modules is the one available to MSDN Universal subscribers.

Steve

Steve Miller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply