DLL initialization routine failed

• I have a stored procedure that creates an instance of the 'CDO.Message' object using sp_OACreate. This worked for a few months and now all of a sudden I get the error "A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.". I didn't catch the problem right away so I dont really even know what may have changed in between it working and not working. I am pretty sure some windows patches have been recently applied and I know an anti virus software has been placed on this server since. I am unsure however if a reboot has occurred since the anti virus installation. This is on SQL 2000 SP3 on Windows 2000 SP4.

Has anyone experienced this at all or able to give advise?

Thanks.

Shaun

• Anything in the event/sql server/av logs which may give a bit more information?

Have you tried re-registering the dll? Sysinternals has a tool thats lists DLL's being loaded up. Might be worth running that aswell, if possible.

• Sometime it's caused by internal memory error. In that case only restart can help!

• There is nothing at all in the event log. I guess I will have to schedule a reboot. Fun...

• I'm assuming there was no reboot after the patches were installed? If not, then yes, there is the possibility that a dependent DLL was updated and your dll can no longer function without a restart. Never fun!

If that turned out to be the case, thats a good argument for you to use to have patches tested on a dev/qa/test box prior to production release 🙂

• Thanks. Ya, I am fighting for a test server as it is, but soon there. I think...

• Well as painfull as it can be, downtime (even though it's not a complete server failure) can make management spend the money on a test environment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply