DLOOKUP Syntax

• Hi,

I am trying to autopopulate a Textbox45 from another Textbox41(already autopopulated) and have entered this code in the control source property of Textbox45-

=DLookUp("[DIVISION_CD]","dbo_DIVISION","[LINE_CD] = ' " & [Me].[Text41] & " ' ")

and added this code in the After Update Event property of Textbox41-

Private Sub Text41_AfterUpdate()

[Me].[Text45] = DLookup("DIVISION_CD", "dbo_DIVISION", "[LINE_CD] = ' " & [Me].[Text41] & " ' ")

End Sub

But I get an error- #Name? when I view the form to test it. Could someone please tell what I am doing wrong and if there is another way to do this ?

Thanks,

Paul

• Is LINE_CD in your dbo_DIVISION table a text column? My first though is that if it is not, the single quotes in your DLOOKUP can be causing problems.

• This cannot work for several reasons.

1. In the control source property of Textbox45, you cannot use [Me] because it is not defined in that context (Me is unknown there if you prefer).

2. There are spaces between the single-quotes and the reference to [Me].[Text41] in the criteria expression of the DLookUp function:

"[LINE_CD] = ' " & [Me].[Text41] & " ' "

3. Even if it would work, you would not be able to change the value of Text45 in the procedure Sub Text41_AfterUpdate(): once a function is assigned to the ControlSource property of a control, the Value property of this control is read-only and trying to change the Value property would cause an error ("Run-time error '2448': You can't assign a value to this object").

Here's one solution:

1. Leave the ControlSource property of Text45 empty.

2. Use this code in the module of the form:

Option Compare Database

Option Explicit

Private Function GetDivisionCD() As Variant

GetDivision_CD = DLookup("DIVISION_CD", "dbo_DIVISION", "LINE_CD = '" & Me.Text41.value & "'")

End Function

Private Sub Form_Current()

Me.Text45.value = GetDivisionCD

End Sub

Private Sub Text41_AfterUpdate()

Me.Text45.value = GetDivision_CD

End Sub

Have a nice day!

• The comment about [Me] being out of context for the data source is correct. That can be modified by using the following syntax: [Forms]![FormName]![Text41]

In the AfterUpdate event for Text41, you only need to write the following: Me.ReCalc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply