DML with linked servers is so slow!!!

• Grettings everybody, I looking for the one who can solve this issue!

I need to save data from Server1 to Server2, this data is created from a stored procedure because It is the result from other tables and this data must to travel to a Publicator for future Replication.

The problem is, when Server1 updates the table on Server2, is too slow. I do something like this:

insert into [Server1].[Base].dbo.table select * from #table

but if I do -> insert into table select * from #table. It is so fast! I testing this process on my laptop but I need use two servers.

I read this is why SQL Server scans the table from linked server. Now, I need to know if exists a way to do this without this scan!

Thanks!

PD: Sorry if my english was bad! 🙁

• Yes, "linked server" is an eloquent way to spell "trouble".

How much data are you trying to insert? What is the speed of the network connection between the two servers?

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Actually, around 280000 rows and I make the test on my own laptop, but It will work on LAN.

Thanks

• You could try reading over the network instead of writing over the network.

In other words, write your data to a permanent staging table on Server2 using code that runs on server2, then execute the following code on Server1:

INSERT INTO dbo.Table SELECT * FROM Server2.DB.dbo.StageTable

• Thanks everyone!

After think about this problem! and thanks to that the planets were aligned, I found the light at the end of the tunnel! jejeje I find a way to solve it.

But I am working right now and I cant write my solution! I will when I get off work!

Grettings!

• The solution: I created a SP on Server2 (this will be the Publicator) It executes the SP who create the data at the end SELECT this data, so the SP on Server1 return a Dataset, That data will be inserted on a temporal table and then will be inserted on the table from Server2, something like this:

CREATE PROCEDURE SP_server2

@PARAM1 INT

AS BEGIN

SET NOT COUNT ON

CREATE TABLE #TABLE1 ([COLUMNS DEFINITION])

INSERT INTO #TABLE1 EXEC [SERVER1].BASE.DBO.SP_SERVER1 @PARAM1

DELETE A FROM TABLAPUB A WHERE EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM #TABLE1 B WHERE A.ID=B.ID)

INSERT INTO TABLAPUB SELECT * FROM #TABLE1

END

So, the initial way was sooooo slow and this solution is quicker.

I hope somebody with the same problem can use it.

PD: I hope my english was good!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply