DMZ server unable to connect through SQL Browser

• I have a Web server in my DMZ, I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 server inside the LAN, this database server has named instance with a NO dinamic port. I have set as firewall rules the connection from my DMZ server and the database server in the SQL Server instance port and the UDP port 1434 for SQL Browser.

I thought this will be enough to allow the connection between the two servers, however I created a UDL file in my DMZ server and tried to connect to the sql server instace and it failed, but when I included the Instance port in the string, it worked.

Please can you help me, I want to be able to connect to the named instance without including the Instance port, insted use the SQL Browser as it woul be for other serves inside the LAN.

Thanks

• Did you enable TCP port 1433 through the firewall? Are the ip addresses of the two machines static?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• mvillegascuellar (7/27/2012)

I have a Web server in my DMZ, I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 server inside the LAN, this database server has named instance with a NO dinamic port. I have set as firewall rules the connection from my DMZ server and the database server in the SQL Server instance port and the UDP port 1434 for SQL Browser.

I thought this will be enough to allow the connection between the two servers, however I created a UDL file in my DMZ server and tried to connect to the sql server instace and it failed, but when I included the Instance port in the string, it worked.

Please can you help me, I want to be able to connect to the named instance without including the Instance port, insted use the SQL Browser as it woul be for other serves inside the LAN.

Thanks

you will need 1434 TCP and UDP and the port the instance is actually using

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply