Do You Have a Problem?

• dlozi (5/22/2009)

I'm from South Africa(Johannesburg):-)

Hi there dlozi, I am also from Jozi, me and Gail also come from Johannesburg.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• bob.willsie (5/21/2009)

Is there a certification for DBAs?

If so, is the testing process kept up to date? (Years ago I almost went for CDPM certification until I found out half the test was on setting up card sorters.)

Who decides the curriculum and testing content?

And, if there isn't a certification, what are/can you, as professional DBAs do about it?

Ummm... touchy subject with me. I've worked with 2 certified DBA's that couldn't hit the floor with their hat. Others are absolute Ninja's and many of those Ninja's aren't certified.

Like any degree or other certification, it's what the person has learned and practiced. I interviewed a guy with a PHD in Mathematics because he wanted to be a Sr. Java Developer. He couldn't even convert 1416 to decimal in his head. PHD in that case stood for "Piled Higher and Deeper".

I've been so disappointed in the quality of the people I've interviewed. I very much appreciate it when someone earns a degree and actually knows something afterwards. Too many times, mostly on the interviews I've conducted, people come in with BS's and MS's in CIS or Mathematics and they know nothing. I even had one guy with more letters after his name than I care to mention... and, he claimed to be a "9 out of 10" in both Oracle and SQL Server right on his resume. I started the questioning out very simple for this SQL Developer position... how do you get the current date and time using SQL? The answer? Now, remember... this is for the postion of SQL Developer! Imagine my small bit of disgust when the person answered "I don't know... we always used the GUI for that."

Interview over. Next victim please. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply