Do You Need an IT or CS Degree to be a Successful DBA?

• I have a B.S. in Geography with a minor in CS. My first job out of college was at a GIS mapping company. About 2 years in, they began looking for employees that would be interested in transitioning over to software development. Since the seniority tree on the GIS was stacked with a lot of 10-20 year photogrammetrists, I decided to jump over to the software side for better advancement. This led to me working with VB 3, Access, and Oracle. Since that job, my career led more and more to data-centric software development, then to data warehouse management with some jr DBA activities, and then to a SQL Server 7 DBA/app dev position through a consulting gig. I'm not a full-time DBA, I do about 30%/70% application development/DBA work in my current position.

I think that my degree got me in the door for the GIS mapping job, but has had no functional impact on the DBA aspect of my career.

• It took me 23 years from High School to a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, working the whole time as a Programmer/Analyst/System Architect/Project Manager. There came a point in my career when the lack of a degree was preventing me from getting interviews with companies for whom I was interested in working. I had been continuously educating myself the whole time as I moved around the world and worked in North America, Europe, The Middle East, Africa, Central and South America. I had accumulated 324 credit hrs from 10 universities, but still had no degree. I guess I just love learning new stuff. After the CS degree, I added degrees in History and Literature, then an MS in Information Systems Management.

I was a corporate ladder climber for years, but left a Technical Director position to become a Road Warrior data warehouse consultant to the Fortune 500. The money was amazing and I did that for 15 years, then decided I had had enough of being away from home all the time. I looked for something local that wouldn't bore me and ended up taking a position as the Lead Senior Database Administrator for the Clinical Informatics Branch of the Air Force Surgeon General's office. My shop covers both SQL Server and Oracle database environments supporting medical research projects. The work is interesting, the people are wonderful to work with, and the end products improve health care for everyone. The pay is OK, too, although that is no longer a driving force for me at this stage of my life.

I am driven to continue learning new things. I honestly think that if someone has lost all interest in learning new things, they should be buried quickly before their corpse begins to decompose.

• I made way to DBA/ Systems Administrator via a Criminal Justice degree and Russian Studies.

I have always been interested in computers and technology from the time my parents first purchased a used Apple II for $1500.00 in 1985. I took some BASIC programming in high school and enjoyed it but in college I found the computer science community to be too exclusive. I didn't fit the mold of a computer "geek" at the time. So, I pursued areas of personal interest which led to a liberal arts degree. After several business management roles I found a desire to get back into database administration and systems management. I took the "plunge" in 1998 when I left my sales management position with a large multinational organization. I worked my way up through several positions in IT including, software trainer, PC and server technician, to my current role as systems administrator and part-time DBA.

I think the best DBAs are those that pursue what they enjoy first. This may lead to a long and winding road with several careers changes but one that is full of many life experiences that can help the DBA relate to the "average" computer user and to be able to communicate in a common "language" and at a level that isn't too technical.

• Bill Richards (5/5/2009)

What is your college degree in?

I have a BS degree in Computer Science.

How did you get from where you started to where you are today?

My degree helped me get my first job as a C\C++ programmer. After that first job, I held a number of programming positions. During Y2K, I built a Y2K testing center. The work involved included installing and maintaining the windows network, SQL Server databases, and supporting applications. During this time, I earned my MCSE. One of the electives to earn your MCSE was SQL Server database administration. After gaining that experience, I applied for jobs that were database related. After becoming a DBA, I earned my MCDBA. At this time, I have now been a DBA for 7 years and have been working with SQL Server since SQL Server 6.5.

And last of all, does your college degree really make all that much difference in your success as a DBA?

I think both college degrees and certifications do make a difference because some companies require degrees and certifications in their job descriptions. However, experience matters much more. I list my degree as one of the last items on my resume.

Wow, best answer to exactly what was asked, and well formatted, too. Nice!

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• I have several degrees, some computer related, some not. Some are two-year tech degrees and some are four-year degrees. My main ones are accounting and operations management.

As far as education is concerned, I'm of the opinion that none is wasted. I have used something from all of my schooling in my career.

I was introduced to programming when I was a weather technician in the US Navy. I was stationed on Guam at the weather center. My job required a security clearance. While waiting for that to clear, I did various clerical duties including keypunching cards for weather programs written in fortran and another in assembler. The computer was a Unisys. An officer visited the weather center to go over how computers might be used to forecast the weather. She was the main computer guru for the Navy. Her name was Captain Grace Hopper. I had no clue who she was but she was interested in the programs I was keypunching. I asked her what it was and she took the time to explain the basics of programming and the language. I was hooked. I never saw her after that but she becam a legend. She was probably a legend by the time I met her but I didn't know that then.

• Love this topic. Great to hear all the different stories.

Graeme100, you're so right, talking about tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys takes me back. I was a slacker teenager who tinkered with computers so I could get the old DOS games to work. I was a horrible student, so I dropped out of college and went to work at a helpdesk supporting NEC Personal Computers (later became Packard Bell). Tough job, definitely spent my time "in the trenches".

I've been in and out of work and school since then. My bread-and-butter has been Systems Admin. But I switched to SQL DBA work as of one year ago and have progressed very rapidly if I may say so myself; the systems admin background really helps.

I'm starting to miss the hands-on work though. I'm getting out of shape sitting in my cube all day writing scripts! Does anybody have some new equipment in a cardboard box that they need help opening? I still keep my pocket knife just for this purpose!! 🙂

• I have a BS and MS in Geology from back in the mid 70's. I worked as a field geologist for 3 years drilling for coal. Fall and spring were great, summer and winter not so much.

Made me want to be an office gelogist. I got my wish in 1979 with Phillips Petroleum. They hired me as a computer geologist. I had no idea what it was all I knew is that I got to move to Dallas. Well in my role I dealt with data non-stop and soon I learned that was where I wanted my career to go.

Because of my background in geology I was very effective at designing and using geology databases so after having done alot of business and data analysis in those areas I moved into database admnistration.

I don't know if my education makes a difference in my capacity as a DBA. However, I don't think you can go into a physical science job without being analytical, logical and a good problem solver and all these attributes make one a better DBA.

Finally it was a good move cause do you know how to get a geologist's attention . . . . "Hey Waiter!"

• No degree - went the Army route instead. Started as a computer operator, moved on to programmer and eventually DBA. I have now been a DBA for more than 9 years working with Intersystems Cache, SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle. Mostly SQL Server now.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• jnobles (5/5/2009)

I'm still a senior in good standing after 30 years.

Not sure about that. After 10 years, most schools start removing credits. It's a business to them! :w00t:

• Jeffrey Williams (5/5/2009)

No degree - went the Army route instead. Started as a computer operator, moved on to programmer and eventually DBA. I have now been a DBA for more than 9 years working with Intersystems Cache, SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle. Mostly SQL Server now.

Sort of the direction I went, except I went Country Club (Air Force) as a computer operator. I did eventually get my BS degree, Computer Science and Business Administration in 1989 and then in 1991 I earned my MA in Computer Information Resource Management and Space Systems Management.

Has the degrees helped me? I'd have to say yes, from a theory side. Experience has been the better teacher in what I do as a developer and DBA.

• anyone out there played the game of Life? Know what a degree gets you there? It gives you a better start in your career at the beginning (although you're delayed 4 years). After that, it rarely comes into play.

The same thing happens in the real world. I've seen people credit you with 4-8 years of work experience for a college degree. Is that right? It depends.

For some people it works, others it doesn't. A degree gets you in the door, though I'd argue after you've been working for 4-5 years, a degree shouldn't matter. If you've been able to have any degree of success working, that should easily substitute for a degree.

For me?

What is your college degree in?

BA Economics, started in CompSci, switched in the late 80s thinking business knowledge would be better.

How did you get from where you started to where you are today?

I fell into things. Started grad school in computer engineering, got a EE internship, moved to IT, network admin, found DBAs made a lot of money and it felt "natural" to me to work in sets, so I pushed in that direction.

And last of all, does your college degree really make all that much difference in your success as a DBA?

Yes and no. I think that my time in school rounded me out, I learned a) how to learn and b) how to follow directions without being managed. I learned interesting things that made me think, something I need to do regularly.

• Loner (5/5/2009)

This is the most ironic thing. Some of the best developers and DBAs did not have a computer science degree. On the other hand some the of worst developers and DBAs I worked with had a computer science degree.

I agree! Some of the worst programmers I've ever seen were hired because of their degrees (in one case, a masters).

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Looks like I'm the boring one.

B.Sc in Physics and Computer Science.

I wanted to go into physics, but I struggled a bit with the maths for it in 3rd year and besides, there's no Physics-related jobs here except teaching, which I didn't want to do at the time.

I was hired straight from university by a small custom development company and I started, of all things, on Oracle doing reports. Hated every minute. Got off that project as soon as I possibly could and got into development, first MS Access (yes, it does work for small apps) then VB and then web development.

I didn't really get into SQL for a couple more years after that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (5/5/2009)

And I like to think I have a decent level of SQL skill.

If it makes any difference, I think you have a decent SQL skill level... 😉

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Wayne (and all), would love to hear some words of wisdom on future of DBA positions in the next 10-20 years. I am not talking of future of SQL Server/MS and so on but perhaps from an individual's standpoint, what does a DBA with 30-40 years of experience do when he/she gets into 60s or 70s? I love what I do now, just not sure if I would when I get older. Only because the nature of work is SO transactional and am not sure how I would feel about getting up in the middle of the night to look into a server that went down, or working towards upgrading my certification to the next version of the product (it is hard enough to remember all the acronyms even now). How does one take this experience to the next level if there is one, and woudl a degree help in this regard? Thank you!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply