Do you use the Transfer Database Task

• Does anyone use the Transfer Database Task in Online Mode?

I want a recent copy of our production SQL 2008 R2 database available for developers. Normally, I just restore the most recent backup, but this task just looks too easy. I am currently reading through BOL, but I highly value the SSC community's opinion. I am really interested in the downside of this task in online mode.

If you use the Transfer Database Task, what are your thoughts? What are the pros and cons? I appreciate all feedback.

Regards,

Jon

• The transfer task, if it's the same as 2005, just automates the object creation and then the transfer of data from one place to another.

It works, but you could potentially end up with a database that isn't in sync across tables. Meaning that if I have activity and I start transferring table 1, I could have changes in table 2. These could complete, and I might end up with the tables slightly out of sync from a data perspective.

I like backup/restore better if that's an issue.

• Jon Russell (6/9/2011)

Does anyone use the Transfer Database Task in Online Mode?

I want a recent copy of our production SQL 2008 R2 database available for developers. Normally, I just restore the most recent backup, but this task just looks too easy. I am currently reading through BOL, but I highly value the SSC community's opinion. I am really interested in the downside of this task in online mode.

If you use the Transfer Database Task, what are your thoughts? What are the pros and cons? I appreciate all feedback.

Regards,

Jon

basically, dont use it. Backup\restore is easier and a damn sight quicker

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply