Documenting your SSIS package

• With some effort you can get into the execution task hosts and extract out additional information, I'm not really sure about custom SSIS tasks though. I'm sure they can be parsed, just not sure the best way to do it. I also wrote a little .net app to extract this kind of information from a package, it was enlightening..

CEWII

• I attached a txt file with the source code I mentioned before.

The API for SSIS is kind of rough in that it requires a lot of looping through object properties. Someone made a wrapper API that is supposed to have really simplified these things, but I forget what it is now.

If it comes to me I will be sure and post.

I basically built a little forms app to loop through a directory of ssis packages, searching for a specific table name and column name, and reporting the lineage. So you would end up with an html page listing the packages that contain that table and column and the data flow lineage within it.

I got pretty busy with other things and abondoned this project very early on. So be warned... the whole thing is messy, but functional.

I think pragmatic works may have released decent data lineage software in their reporting gizmo since this thread was last posted to. That might be the 1st place I would check if I was still on the hunt.

* SSIS objects can actually have extended properties just like objects in management studio. The difference is that the extended properties are not displayed in the GUI.

It could be useful to progamatically and and retrieve properties for objects.

• Have you looked at 3rd party tool called BIDocumenter from Paragmaticworks. It is a really good ssis documenter tool

---------------------

documenting ssis packages | Free SSIS Tasks and Components

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply