Does an SSIS package have to be a SQL job to run?

• I have copied over a SSIS package from visual studio to SQL Studio Manager and shows up in SSIS services.

When I go to execute the package with validation only I get errors.

• I don't really get you. What are you trying to do?How does it come to SSMS?

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• You create a package via the Business Intelligence Development Studio. Debug it..make sure all steps are green then Save As to SQL server msdb database.

In Studio Manager if you choose Connect/Integration Services and choose that package it appears under Stored Packages/MSDB folder

If I highlight the package and right-click and execute package I get errors that I didn't experience when doing it in BIDS

I really don't want to schedule this as a SQL job as this SSIS package will run randomly.

• Why dont you make it a job and not give it a schedule. That way you can run it whenever you want. Your other option is to run the package from BIDS.

• I think Adam's method will work too. This way, you will at least have the job there and run it randomly as you wanted as many time as posibble.

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• jsheldon,

What errors do you get when you execute the package? There's no guarantee that it'll run in a job either if we don't know why it won't run manually.

Greg

• No errors when run in Business Studio but if I run it in SQL job I think I don't have the correct settings as there is a myriad of tabs that need to be configured.

When I run it, it says login for the user ID that is connected to the flat file and DB sources is incorrect

• I have had this problem before and the reason was that when developed using BIDS the workstation had named letters for the data source location (e.g. C: drive). When installed on the server, the names and/or mapping to the drive letters are either non-existent or not the same. The fix is when you build the process in BIDS is to use the full path of the data location and ensure the server has full permissions to the full path of the data.

Hope this helps.

• I tried every way that is posibble and mine worked well. But I have the flat files on my desktop itself. Where are you getting the flat files from. Could be that the problem as you said the login is failing for the flat files connection.

• Thanks guys I haven't had time to test but this makes sense. I build the SSIS package on my desktop and the flat file is located on my C drive (more or less to get it running)

Now on the server it wouldn't have the rights..I need to adjust the package, move the file to the server and thus it should work!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply