Does the Job Matter To You?

• If all jobs paid the same $ I would definitely be doing something different. My IT job means that I interface with a computer most of the day. I would rather have a job that has me dealing with people more.

• My work definitely matters to me, having been through several different careers in my lifetime. How else does a theater major become a HS teacher then a HS Youth Minister then a Daycare Provider then a Network Support technician to finally arrive at Software Support and Trainer and part-time Development? I have learned that even though I have the skills to do a LOT of different things, I am happiest when I am being a troubleshooter/developer who can solve a client's problems. I have the skill set to be a manager, but really don't want the hassles that go with the position. I LIKE working with clients, getting to the root of the issues and requirements. I am definitely NOT a back room tech. I could always do something else if I had to, but yes, the job matters, and I would always want to get back to this.

• It has changed for me over time, at first it was important, technology improvements were a good thing for everyone and I liked doing it. But I was hoping it would lead to more for me. It didn't so I tried working in the non-profit sector. I found similar management problems and politics there.

I am now working for decent pay and under less stress. Lower stress is partly due to my not being as worried about promotions and such. I leave work and do very satisfying volunteer work. That is what really matters to me.

• Wow, I'm going to sound completely off my rocker after reading y'alls responses. The job doesn't matter at all to me. I have dreams and aspirations, but none of those could support my family at a reasonable level. I have stayed in IT for 24 years because I am good at what I do and can 'morph' every year it seems to the new programming language or operating system. What would I like to do? Music, theater, personal training full time gym director...anything with an enormous amount of intimate interaction with interesting people. I am currently a programmer: About as far away from my 'dream' job as I could possibly be. But every day I return to my house where my wife raises our kids, they attend a good school and we don't want for anything (We are pretty spartan by today's standards). Would a different career make me happy? Sure. Does this career make my family happy and secure? Sure. When I weigh out the options I just make the best of it and do the best job I can wherever I am. It is hard to program for 9 hours a day with no interaction: I still haven't found that job 🙂 But I can't put my family at risk while I 'find' myself. I'm already me, I'm just not 'me' fully at work. Did my grandfather like working at the mill? NO. But it was the best job he could get where he was to support his family.

talk about rambling....

Norman_Berube : Nice observation. I do the same thing, I work at a gym teaching group exercise classes and monitoring(cleaning) the fitness floor, and I demonstrate coffee at department stores. It totally freaks my co-workers out when they see me in that environment where I am the alpha employee! Again, if the benefits and pay were the same, I would be there tomorrow and never program again.

• I'm the only database developer in my IT group and am regularly asked to do other sorts of IT work when the situation warrants: building a server, running cable, debugging DNS issues. Even desktop support or hauling in deliveries. In fact, I try to stay attentive to stressors on the other side of the and wall and volunteer my help. It's usually short jobs -- a few hours here or there.

I love the database work that I do but enjoy an occasional change of pace. However, the pay-off for lending my assistance is exponential: I'm building relationships. I'm respected and sought after as someone who can "get the job done". I keep my ears open to projects on the infrastructure side and can add value to my own area of responability by identifying conflicts before they occur.

Most of all, the people I help get their jobs done are eager to drop what they're doing when I need their help.

• I've cleaned toilets as president of the company and cleaned toilets as an employee.

I've developed as president of the company and developed as an employee.

As president I want someone that will look at a problem and jump in and take care of it if they can.

As employee I will jump in and take care of the problem if I can.

The important thing in all instances is "If you see it needs fixing and you can do it, do it."

I don't expect developers to be janitors, or janitors to be developers on a regular basis, but I do expect action to be taken when it needs to happen.

To me, hearing "that's not my job" is one more reason to consider ending the employee/employer relationship.

• I don't mind helping out as it's for the good of the cause/whole. Besides, learning more makes you more versatile and valuable. It only bugs me when I'm asked to do a job when the person whose job it is refueses to do it. Why should I do their job for them if they refuse to do their own job? Otherwise, it's no big deal.

• I would be happy with if I was getting the same amount of pay and benefits doing other things. I can think of a million other trades that would be so much more fun. But ofcourse, many times it comes down to the pay/benefits and thus why I'm here!

--
    :hehe:

• Sometime back I was discussing a problem with a friend that related to an employee being upset about being asked to help out with something that wasn’t part of their usual job. Most job descriptions usually include a phrase along the lines of ‘and other duties deemed necessary’, but in practice most people expect to do primarily the job for which they were hired.

My problem at my current job is that "other duties" currently means cleaning up messes created by people, (coworkers/clients) that do not know how to do their job correctly. And be expected to give 50% more than most of my peers while getting all my projects done. :crazy:

But in my past I've worked on farms, in the military, on the factory floor and in bunny suits in a fab. So a computer desk job isn't that bad.

Ideally I wouldn't mind doing what I do now and getting rewarded better for it, but a change of pace dealing with different types of projects would be rewarding. And there are a few totally different careers that I would mind doing for the same level of compensation.

• I'm like Mark.

I like IT just fine, but I'd rather be pursuing music and/or theatre; or teaching yoga or T'ai Chi. I admit I'm in IT for the money, but I have no regrets. It's one of the best decisions I've made for myself.

I also enjoyed doing training, but that's the first thing to get cut when times are lean, so I sit here and happily code away. 🙂

• Interesting question Andy!

I have a decent memory for numbers and I grew up in a household that didn't earn anywhere the money I now earn. I therefore have a hard time thinking about money as "money" - I have to think about it as a metric or some generic number.

I am tightly coupled to the stuff I do - whether it's for money or not. I feel very fortunate - I love the stuff I get to do whether it's for my employer or the community. Part of it is due to the fact that I am the type of person who makes the best out of whatever situation I'm in. More of it is due to the fact I'm able to do what I truly enjoy.

Would I do something else? That's not the question for me. The question for me is: When will I do something else? And the answer is: In due time. And I will learn and grow and enjoy that job as well.

:{> Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• I like to tackle new jobs and assignments, I'd rather not be restricted by job description.

Within IT I enjoy the DBA work, but I also like coding, I'm cross training in a range of different IT technologies, both to benefit the department, and to me.

Outside IT, there are a range of jobs I'd like to try, at least for a while. Land surveying, over-the-road trucking, equipment maintenance (construction, locomotives etc). I know one person who is working to phase out of IT by developing his own vinyard and winery. A former co worker did IT by day and was the evening shift manager of a sports complex restaurant.

There's lots of things to try out there.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• It depends on the definition of "other job."

I work primarily as a DotNet developer with heavy emphasis on SQL but I do not let that stop me from doing other IT-type duties from being a DBA, customer-support, to training, to writing non-DotNet code (read QBasic and DOS Batch files at one engagement), to hardware repair when they were short handed.

I might have an issue working out on the plant floor, playing file clerk or cleaning toilets. I would pitch in on any of those jobs, if needed on the short term, but not as a regular diet. I enjoy playing with computers too much.

• The work doesn't really matter, I only do this because it comes easy to me and it allows me to make enough money to fund my hobbies, which is where i get my fulfillment from. Honestly if i could make what i do doing anything i would prefer to undertake my hobbies as a career.

• I've done a little bit of everything, NET, SQL Development, DBA, run network cable, PC Support. The only issue I've ever had is when the "other duties" become the only duties. If I had my way I'd do full-time DBA work (probably more as a development DBA than System DBA), but then again I do enjoy getting into .NET on occasion as well.

My dream job, head coach of the Boston Celtics, but since that isn't going to happen I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

I think we'd all like to have a job that involves out hobbies, but most of the time that won't pay the bills.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply