Doing a Search Replace Across a DB, with Wildcards

• Hi,

I am currently trying to find a way to search/replace certain character strings across an entire database. I found the script (below), which seems to do a good job with exact words, but doesn't seem to work well with wildcards in the string.

For example, I want to look for:

<title>text</title>more text

and replace everything from <title> to the end of the string with 'nothing' '', I've tried modifying the code below with set values for @SearchStr and @Replacestr.

I've also wanted to alter the code to just search in one table but wasn't sure how to do it here. Additionally a print of the lines (and their tables) which get replaced would be desirable.

Am I on the right line here, or what might make this code work better to suit my needs here?

Thanks for any helpful input or leads. 🙂

note: I tried to contact the author of this great script, but it seems his site contact info is no longer functioning.

Kind Regards

USE [cop]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[SearchAllTablesAndReplace_4] Script Date: 11/12/2015 2:31:31 PM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROC [dbo].[SearchAllTablesAndReplace_4]

--(

-- @SearchStr nvarchar(100)

-- @ReplaceStr nvarchar(100)

--)

AS

BEGIN

-- Copyright © 2002 Narayana Vyas Kondreddi. All rights reserved.

-- Purpose: To search all columns of all tables for a given search string and replace it with another string

-- Written by: Narayana Vyas Kondreddi

-- Site: http://vyaskn.tripod.com

-- Tested on: SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000

-- Date modified: 2nd November 2002 13:50 GMT

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @TableName nvarchar(256), @ColumnName nvarchar(128), @SearchStr2 nvarchar(110), @SQL nvarchar(4000), @RCTR int ,@SearchStr nvarchar(110), @ReplaceStr nvarchar(110)

SET @TableName = ''

SET @SearchStr = '%</title>%'

SET @SearchStr2 = QUOTENAME('%' + @SearchStr + '%','''')

SET @ReplaceStr = ''

SET @RCTR = 0

WHILE @TableName IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SET @ColumnName = ''

SET @TableName =

(

SELECT MIN(QUOTENAME(TABLE_SCHEMA) + '.' + QUOTENAME(TABLE_NAME))

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES

WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

AND QUOTENAME(TABLE_SCHEMA) + '.' + QUOTENAME(TABLE_NAME) > @TableName

AND OBJECTPROPERTY(

OBJECT_ID(

QUOTENAME(TABLE_SCHEMA) + '.' + QUOTENAME(TABLE_NAME)

), 'IsMSShipped'

) = 0

)

WHILE (@TableName IS NOT NULL) AND (@ColumnName IS NOT NULL)

BEGIN

SET @ColumnName =

(

SELECT MIN(QUOTENAME(COLUMN_NAME))

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = PARSENAME(@TableName, 2)

AND TABLE_NAME = PARSENAME(@TableName, 1)

AND DATA_TYPE IN ('char', 'varchar', 'nchar', 'nvarchar')

AND QUOTENAME(COLUMN_NAME) > @ColumnName

)

IF @ColumnName IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SET @SQL= 'UPDATE ' + @TableName +

' SET ' + @ColumnName

+ ' = REPLACE(' + @ColumnName + ', '

+ QUOTENAME(@SearchStr, '''') + ', ' + QUOTENAME(@ReplaceStr, '''') +

') WHERE ' + @ColumnName + ' LIKE ' + @SearchStr2

EXEC (@SQL)

SET @RCTR = @RCTR + @@ROWCOUNT

END

END

END

SELECT 'Replaced ' + CAST(@RCTR AS varchar) + ' occurence(s)' AS 'Outcome'

END

GO

• To debug replace

EXEC (@SQL)

with

PRINT @SQL

You will see the SQL it generates.

You can copy a line back into a SQL Server Management Studio query window, and run it (or see whether SSMS' parser detects a syntax error).

Next, refer to String Functions (Transact-SQL) and Wildcards in Transact-SQL. Your rewritten SET @SQL = string expression should probably use LIKE, %, LEFT, and CHARINDEX. Remember to escape apostrophes within the @SQL string, by doubling them.

It would be best to not[/I] use QUOTENAME the way the author is using it with @SearchStr and @ReplaceStr:crazy:. QUOTENAME returns NVARCHAR(258), because it is designed to handle schema-qualified object names (==not all strings). You can expect QUOTENAME to fail (truncate results), when its string argument is greater than 258 characters. A more robust solution is to simply use escaped apostrophes within @SQL's string, on either side of concatenations with @SearchStr and @ReplaceStr.

• You can also use "SELECT @SQL" which will do the same thing as PRINT but just stick it in the RESULTS tab instead of the MESSAGES tab.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thanks,

I've been working on this search/replace string and had a question about why the replace still is not occurring.

Below is the actual SQL I've been using in test:

UPDATE [dbo].[tbl_a]

SET [a_col] = REPLACE([a_col],'</title>%','')

WHERE [a_col] LIKE '%</title>%'

When used in a SELECT statement, the 'LIKE' clause, as above, does find the occurrences of the '%</title>%' string; however, no replace occurs.

There is a message, however, stating that x number of rows was affected.

I would like for all text, beginning with "</title>," through the end of the string, to be replaced with nothing ('').

Are my escaped characters in need of editing?

Thanks 🙂

• Your escape characters need escaping. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply