Domain Rename - Sql Server 2005 Failover Cluster Impact

• Hello everybody...

Please can you help me with some suggestions about the follow fact:

We are changing this weekend our company domain name. This involves many changes. But between them, I have a SQL Server 2005 Cluster server which has to be made to run very quick in order that the bussiness activity not to be stopped for more than few hours.

I haven't made the installation and the configuration for this cluster. All that I know is that all the services are running under Domain Groups.

I really don't know what to do with minimum downtime and even without reinstalling/reconfigure.

Have you ever done this? Can you tell me how did you make it?

Thanks.

Wish you good ideas! 🙂
    Andreea

• As your sql already running and to make the change effective in your sql , you have to change the sql services running account to the correct domain account if services are configured on old domain user(admin) name.

For this, you have to change the service account details and same in the secondary server as well. Do failover to check if new account is being configured properly and sql working with new account.

I dont think it will be much time consuming but still you have to take downtime for sql server service account configuration. If its your 1active 1 passive environment then I think 10 min is sufficient enough. Just make sure account already created in domain with proper permission in sql and windows.

----------
    Ashish

• This will not be fun.

as you ahve SQL groups within youre AD which also need to be moved, Sids ect. THere is a way

http://nyc-dba.blogspot.com/2007/01/changing-domain-for-sql-2005-cluster.html

But MS dont support it.

MS dont support moving clusters to a new domain at all afaik. They want a rebuild

• :crying:

So... As far as I understant... it doesn't exist an easy way...

Searching on the web, I've found the article you've mentioned. But why won't it work?

This guy says it's ok...

Wish you good ideas! 🙂
    Andreea

• i dont say it dont work, i say MS dont support it

• I understand...

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about this... Hope it will work...:(

Wish you good ideas! 🙂
    Andreea

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply