Don't Be a Ghost

• Totally agree david about LinkedIn. However, networking should not be just disregarded because of it either. Don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" sort of speak.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I didn't disregard it and I use it. To a point. I changed jobs late last year after 17 years at the same company. I went on all of three interviews before getting an offer. I got the job because my resume wasn't a work of fiction and I was totally prepared for the interview. LinkedIn had nothing to do with it though I saw the hiring manager looked me up as part of due diligence.

Cheers

• cdonlan 18448 (4/16/2013)

Well said, sifting through the noise can be tiresome. In my personal experience, personal referrals have landed me almost all of my jobs, so I suppose my 'localized' branding has been effective, but probably wouldn't help me much in a global job search so much.

Got to say this is a big part of your brand. Networking and personal connections. Glad it's worked for you and you might be surprised how wide the reach can be.

• jfogel (4/16/2013)

I know the endorsements are largely junk and I know people network. Some just waste time on the Internet. True story.

Agree, I ignore them.

The references and personal letters have a little value, but not a lot.

• jfogel (4/16/2013)

I didn't disregard it and I use it. To a point. I changed jobs late last year after 17 years at the same company. I went on all of three interviews before getting an offer. I got the job because my resume wasn't a work of fiction and I was totally prepared for the interview. LinkedIn had nothing to do with it though I saw the hiring manager looked me up as part of due diligence.

Lots of companies and recruiters are actively looking on LinkedIn for people when they need help. Tends to work better than an ad somewhere.

• And that is great but I got word out about my search via Monster. I never even looked at a listing on LinkedIn and honestly, never even thought to. I have no problem with people looking for work, making connections, etc however they wish. What I do have a problem with is people insisting that if I don't do it their way I may as well go pack my hobo stick.

Cheers

• I used to keep my presence online to a minimum. This kind of hurts the brand trying to be built. I learned that a few years back. I am glad I have changed my perspective on it because it certainly has helped to be more visible online for perspective employers and clients.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I really don't think anyone here is saying that there is only one way to do things. What works for one person may not work for another. This is true in many areas of life. Take what people suggest, try things, discard what doesn't work for you and keep what does.

• Is forum presence (of which I have little), really helpful to your brand? Many people use pseudonyms when posting to forums.

I also think many people (again, like myself) are reluctant to post a blog or even a forum reply because it's natural to compare your knowledge to the collective intelligence out there. It's pretty intimidating.

• We've become drones to the Internet where Facebook and other such sites allow us to record for posterity our every useless thought and moment.

Networking is an important thing we used to do in person, where we learned to read body language as well as verbal inflection. Sterile words on a page are so damning. I’ve seen more emails cause more fights mostly because most people are not Ernest Hemingway. “I got your misinterpretation right here….”

I say it’s a sad commentary that we now are expected to “post” so that lazy HR types can scan our private thoughts for juicy tidbits they can use against us. My wife had a friend who interviewed for an IT position recently where the HR person demanded she give up her Facebook login. REALLY….

I like to use my colleagues for help when I struggle. TechNet and official resources backed by the makers of the products are much more reliable than asking somebodies “opinion” about how I should be doing something. How do I know that other person even knows what they’re talking about?

You know what they say about opinions, they’re like a...... (interpret the rest)

• Branding is all well and good, but I've found that trying to find me can be... interesting.

A) Apparently my name is common.

B) There's a particular Soccer player who tends to dwarf me.

However, if you punch in Craig Farrell SQL into google, a lot of that tends to reference my articles here... on job hunting.

Should be interesting when people actually hit me up. 🙂

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Lynn Pettis (4/16/2013)

I really don't think anyone here is saying that there is only one way to do things. What works for one person may not work for another. This is true in many areas of life. Take what people suggest, try things, discard what doesn't work for you and keep what does.

Of course, as well as your own way working so might the other person's too. Sometimes it is a question of preference. Not using a technique may not be harming your opportunities. Using a technique badly even be more harmful than not using it at all.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• fundpc (4/16/2013)

We've become drones to the Internet where Facebook and other such sites allow us to record for posterity our every useless thought and moment.

Networking is an important thing we used to do in person, where we learned to read body language as well as verbal inflection. Sterile words on a page are so damning. I’ve seen more emails cause more fights mostly because most people are not Ernest Hemingway. “I got your misinterpretation right here….”

I say it’s a sad commentary that we now are expected to “post” so that lazy HR types can scan our private thoughts for juicy tidbits they can use against us. My wife had a friend who interviewed for an IT position recently where the HR person demanded she give up her Facebook login. REALLY….

I like to use my colleagues for help when I struggle. TechNet and official resources backed by the makers of the products are much more reliable than asking somebodies “opinion” about how I should be doing something. How do I know that other person even knows what they’re talking about?

You know what they say about opinions, they’re like a...... (interpret the rest)

I once got blasted for saying "I believe that the defect is fixed in the current release in UAT..." because "I believe" was not a fact. In reality until is has gone through regression testing by the test team then it is not a fact otherwise what would be the point of the Test Team. Sometimes it is not the English but the attitude of a recipient. Ho hum.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• TWH (4/16/2013)

Is forum presence (of which I have little), really helpful to your brand? Many people use pseudonyms when posting to forums.

I also think many people (again, like myself) are reluctant to post a blog or even a forum reply because it's natural to compare your knowledge to the collective intelligence out there. It's pretty intimidating.

I wouldn't be reluctant to post a blog or forum reply just because you don't know as much as others out there. Sometimes that post can solidify the knowledge in your mind about some problem you solved and how. Maybe it wasn't the best solution, but it worked at the time and you learned from it. Same for answering a forum post - you may present an idea that someone else didn't consider. We're often impressed or intimidated by people who are regular speakers or posters, but they often know their areas really well so are confident in those areas. I find Brent Ozar's story somewhat fascinating - someone who took some initiative to make his own path, but specializing in what he does well.

All that to say - don't be intimidated. If you have a suggestion or answer, put it out there. Worst case scenario, you'll learn some better ways to do things from those who comment on your ideas. Learn, update, move on, and keep posting. Obviously don't throw out something not even close to helpful or on-topic, but do offer your experience when you think you may have an idea.

• fundpc (4/16/2013)

Related to this, giving up your Facebook login is against their terms of service. Simple answer, along with just telling them "no". I realize that may not land the job, but unless desperate for work, I don't think I'd want to work for someone who made this a term of employment.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply