• Hi There,

Please find the following query,

begin try

select top 10* from Sampletable(nolock)

end try

begin catch

print('table not available')

end catch

Actually above table is not available in the database. So I expect my query would result "table not available"

but it results

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 3

Invalid object name 'vw_cdr'.

Please explain why try catch not working?

• The catch is a run-time error handler, but the error you are getting is a parse time error that happens before the query is run.

• It's a query parsing error. SQL hasn't got as far as running it.

Try this:

BEGIN TRY

SELECT 1/0

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

RAISERROR('Divide-by-zero error detected.', 16, 1)

END CATCH

• Michael Valentine Jones (12/17/2013)

The catch is a run-time error handler, but the error you are getting is a parse time error that happens before the query is run.

I agree with you ...

let me clarify one more thing ...

If I parse the above query using ctrl+f5 it wont give any error. Then how we say it is a parse time error?

• vignesh.ms (12/18/2013)

If I parse the above query using ctrl+f5 it wont give any error. Then how we say it is a parse time error?

Because it occurs before execution starts. The Parse option in SSMS just checks syntax, not whether or not objects exist. That's done in the binding phase which occurs after parsing but before optimisation, well before runtime, which is when TRY...CATCH executes.

p.s. You do know the downsides and side effects of nolock, since it appears to be a habitual use?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/18/2013)

vignesh.ms (12/18/2013)

Because it occurs before execution starts. The Parse option in SSMS just checks syntax, not whether or not objects exist. That's done in the binding phase which occurs after parsing but before optimisation, well before runtime, which is when TRY...CATCH executes.

p.s. You do know the downsides and side effects of nolock, since it appears to be a habitual use?

Im a newbie .. I dont know the downsides and side effects of nolock..

Could you assist me regards this ?? any articles ?

• vignesh.ms (12/18/2013)

Im a newbie .. I dont know the downsides and side effects of nolock..

So why do you use it if you don't know what it does?

Could you assist me regards this ?? any articles ?

Plenty. Try google.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• All I know is ,

It will give us the dirty data ...

(ie)if update is going on, then it would not care about current values.. it will result whatever there on the db while selecting

• That's the less problematic part of it.

From books Online:

Missing and Double Reads Caused by Row Updates

Missing one or more rows that were not the target of update

When you are using READ UNCOMMITTED, if your query reads rows using an allocation order scan (using IAM pages), you might miss rows if another transaction is causing a page split. This cannot occur when you are using read committed because a table lock is held during a page split and does not happen if the table does not have a clustered index, because updates do not cause page splits.

You can read rows multiple times for the same reason.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply