doubts in Indexing

• We are in a vehicle tracking project and it is running for 24*7. We will get data for every min hence perday we have nearly1440 record for a vehicle and we have around 1000 vehicles in market today.

Customer will be looking for a report on the time basis for a vehilce, in that case i need to take the records of that registration and during the specified duration. Finaly we manipulate on them to give reports to the customers.

We need to take a backup of those records once in two days. Won't this composite non clustered index give a problem while inserting?. Should i have to removed this index when ever the insertion take place?. Will this be a permanant solution for me.

Thanks in advance

• mahesh.kumar (7/7/2008)

Won't this composite non clustered index give a problem while inserting?.

Shouldn't. It'll slow the insert a little, but unless you have lots and lots of indexes you should be fine. How many rows are you inserting at a time and how?

Will this be a permanant solution for me.

Maybe. If the queries change, the indexes will likely have to change as well. All indexing strategies should be revisited and re-evaluated every now and again.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am just inserting all the records into the single table named as gpsdata_history. It will have a record of all the registrationnno irrespective of what ever clients they are. Every day night we just move the data from this table to backup server database. This backup server database is been denormalized and has tables for some group of clients. For ex 1000 registrationno is put up in 10 different table and mapping is done in some classification. I have written a stored procedure which will transfer the data from the main database to backup. This stored procedure is been called from the batch file. Moving of records will be huge.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply