Doubts regarding SQL Express.

• Hi,

I have two doubts regarding SQL Express.

1. What's the maximum size of a DB .? (MCTS Book says it's 4GB, was thinking it's 10 GB)

2. Book also says, Only Enterprise Edition allows multiple instances in a single server.

We cannot install multiple instances with Standard Edition .?

One more favour. I baught a book for MCTS examination (Exam 70-432).

Unfortunately CD is missing from that book. It would be helpful if I have sample test etc;

Can anyone send me that Pls... Planng to give exam after a week.

Thanks in davance.

Smith.

• 1, max 4GB (10GB for 2K8 R2)

2, you can have multiple instances

• Thanks for your quick response.

2, you can have multiple instances

Means that microsoft book I baught is wrong..

I doubt if I need to contiue studyingthat book...

Wel, Any help on that exam CD...?

Thanks again.

• Yes and no. I believe that the book is dated a bit though. SQL Server Express 2005, the database limit was 4G. That limit was increased to 10G in SQL Server 2008.

As far as the multiple instances limitation is concerned, it's possible that they were referring to the ability to do multiple instances without purchasing more licenses. However, having never worked with enterprise edition, I do not know if that is true.

• Licensing between 2005 and 2008 has changed regarding instance licensing. The below quote had been taken from the SQL Server 2008 Pricing and Licensing EULA, last updated July 2008. Might want to search for a fresh copy. Also, for practice exams, there is a Microsoft site that has free training tests (something like http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/community/events.aspx#livemeetings), I will see if I can find it. May want to try a web search for that.

Virtualization is defined broadly as the running of software on a “virtual environment.” A virtual environment takes place when an operating system (OS) is somehow emulated, or does not run directly on the physical hardware.

When software is virtualized, one or several applications and their associated operating systems can run on one physical server inside their respective virtual environments. One of the benefits of a virtualized scenario is that multiple applications can run concurrently on a server with isolation at the OS level.

An option to virtualizing software is multi-instancing. In this case, multiple copies of an application run concurrently on a single copy of an OS. Multi-instancing for SQL Server 2008 can take place both in a virtual environment or in a physical environment. While multi-instancing offers a relatively high degree of isolation between copies of SQL2008, this isolation takes place at the application level (instead of at the OS level).

When SQL Server 2008 runs inside a virtual operating environment, it requires at least one license per virtual operating environment, except for SQL Server Enterprise edition. Several copies or instances of SQL Server 2008 can run inside a virtual operating environment. These must be licensed as follows:

When licensed Server / CAL

Workgroup and Standard editions now allow you to run any number of instances of the server software in one physical or virtual operating system environment on the licensed server at a time. Previously, only the Enterprise edition of the Server license allowed multi-instancing. This is a great incentive for customers to adopt the Server/CAL model.

For Enterprise edition, for each server to which you assign a software license, you may run, at any one time, any number of instances of the server software in one physical and any number of virtual operating system environments on that server.

When licensed Per Processor

With Workgroup, Web, and Standard editions, for each server to which you have assigned the required number of per processor licenses, you may run, at any one time, any number of instances of the server software in physical and virtual operating system environments on the licensed server. However, the total number of physical and virtual processors used by those operating system environments cannot exceed the number of software licenses assigned to that server

For enterprise edition there is an added option: if all physical processors in a machine have been licensed, then you may run unlimited instances of SQL server 2008 in one physical and an unlimited number of virtual operating environments on that same machine.

• Thank you clubbavich and matt.newman.

I will see if I can find it.

I will also search. Pls let me know incase if you find something.

Thanks again.

Smith

• clubbavich (8/24/2011)

Yes and no. I believe that the book is dated a bit though. SQL Server Express 2005, the database limit was 4G. That limit was increased to 10G in SQL Server 2008.

As far as the multiple instances limitation is concerned, it's possible that they were referring to the ability to do multiple instances without purchasing more licenses. However, having never worked with enterprise edition, I do not know if that is true.

1) The single database size limit wasn't increased to 10GB until SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition.

2) You can have up to 16 express instances per server.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply