Downgrade Version

• Quick question: Can SQL server be downgraded from SQL2000 SP4 Enterprise to SQL2008 Standard during an in-place upgrade? Memory constraints originally forced us to install enterprise, but these have be lifted in 2008.

Thanks.

• Per Microsoft, on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx, you can only upgrade to 2008 Enterprise from that version.

Doesn't mean you can't get a copy of Standard and upgrade your databases and such into it, just means you won't get the pricing and such.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• That's what I thought. Thanks for the reference and tip. Much appreciated.

• I do think that the "automatic" upgrade (i.e. point at an instance during the install, etc...) will be blocked. You'll have to do the old detach/attach/recreate all users trick. As in - install an entirely new instance, move the users over (there are scripts to extract and recreate lurking in the scripts library), then detach each DB from the old instance and attach to new instance.

But still - not really painful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks again. Just to be clear, are you are referring to creating a new SQL2008 standard instance on the existing SQL2000 enterprise machine?

• I have another quick question. If I install a named instance of SQL2008 standard edition on a SQL2000 Enterprise edition server, is it possible to convert the named instance to the default instance? My concern is related to connectivity. We have many applications connecting to the default instance.

• Thomas Martin (2/18/2009)

Thanks again. Just to be clear, are you are referring to creating a new SQL2008 standard instance on the existing SQL2000 enterprise machine?

Correct. My understanding is you'd have to build the instance first (named or default), and then "swing the databases over".

And if you wish to preserve it as the default instance - you'd have to uninstall 2000 first, then install 2008. There are various kludges out there on how to rename an instance without the reinstall, but none that I feel comfortable referring to (all outside of official documentation/hacking the registry, etc...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply