Drain and Windows Clustering working?

• We have a SQL instance in a Windows cluster, and our server administrator is using the drain functionality within the Clustering software to fail over nodes. But, when this happens, I'm seeing information in the ERRORLOG.1 SQL Server error logs consistent with an Instance restart, followed by a new error log file (ERRORLOG) with all information within indicating that the instance went through a full restart, starting up all databases, etc.

So my question is, what would you see in the SQL Server error logs during a successful drain operation?

Thanks,

--=Chuck

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• The behavior you are describing is a successful drain operation. When the drain action is started for the cluster all resources are moved to a different node. This results in a restart of the SQL Engine on another node. Probably, there will also be a second restart for the fallback-operation after maintenance has finished.

• Thanks for the reply 🙂

So then, how can you tell the difference between when the drain operation is working, and when it's not? Are there attributes in the SQL Server error log I can look for, or should I be looking in the Windows event log, or perhaps there's a Windows Cluster Services log I could look into? I am a reticent to move to a new policy of allowing a restart of cluster nodes earlier in the day, if I can't verify that it's working.

Thanks,

--=Chuck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply