Drop all the -obe columns in a DB

• The problem is that I have a lot of "–obe" i.e. something company-obe in compay table validUsers-obe in validUser table and some other -obe colimns in various other table ( approx about 57 columns in various table ), these obsolete columns are obviously never used and are somewhat impeding the performance.

So I would like to know if there is a way that we can select all the –obe columns and delete all the –obe columns rather than having to delte them indivisually with the drop statement .

Now I know how to list them all but I have not been able to comeup with a solution that will drop all the –obe columns.

Could you please guide me as to how this can be accomplished.

Thanks

• well, you could use something like this:

SELECT 'ALTER TABLE ' +

t.Table_Name +

' drop column ' +

c.Column_Name +

';'

FROM Information_Schema.tables t

INNER JOIN Information_Schema.columns C

ON t.Table_name = c.Table_name

WHERE c.Column_Name LIKE '%-obe'

Even though this is completely untested, and I would not recommend dropping columns in a bulk operation, but whatever your needs are, this might work.

Cheers,

J-F

• You can't do it in one statement. You could write a script that creates a script for you like:

DECLARE @sql NVARCHAR(4000)

SELECT

@sql = COALESCE(@sql, N'') + N'Alter Table ' + S.[name] + N'.' + T.[name] + ' Drop Column ' + AC.NAME + NCHAR(10)

FROM

sys.all_columns AS AC JOIN

sys.tables AS T ON AC.[object_id] = T.[object_id] JOIN

sys.schemas AS S ON T.[schema_id] = S.[schema_id]

WHERE

AC.[name] LIKE '%-obe'

SELECT @sql

Always test first and make sure you have a good backup before dropping any columns in production.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Thanks that works,thanK you so much

thers is somehting else i am struggling with While upsizing from access to SQL all the IsActive fields that are of bit type are upsized with null not allowed and we need them to allow null is there a script that would do this and also the memo fields on access are trasnferred as ntext can we change them all with a script to nvarchar(MAX),i.e all the columns IsActive Columns are set to Allow null and all the ntext fields are set as nvarchar(max)

As of now i have been doing the alter one at a time

thanks again

• Just have same problem

thanks too

use

while EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.columns where [name] LIKE '%-obe')

begin

SELECT

@sql = N'Alter Table ' + T.[name] + N' Drop Column ' + C.NAME

FROM

sys.columns AS C JOIN

sys.tables AS T ON C.[object_id] = T.[object_id]

WHERE

C.[name] LIKE '%-obe';

exec sp_executesql @sql;

end

It droops all columns in DB

• avi-631555 (9/24/2009)

Thanks that works,thanK you so much

thers is somehting else i am struggling with While upsizing from access to SQL all the IsActive fields that are of bit type are upsized with null not allowed and we need them to allow null is there a script that would do this and also the memo fields on access are trasnferred as ntext can we change them all with a script to nvarchar(MAX),i.e all the columns IsActive Columns are set to Allow null and all the ntext fields are set as nvarchar(max)

As of now i have been doing the alter one at a time

thanks again

I dont know why you want to make a bit column nullable, but here is a script similar to the one posted in the earlier post.

SELECT

@sql = COALESCE(@sql, N'') + N'Alter Table ' + T.[TABLE_NAME]+ ' ALTER Column '

+ T.COLUMN_NAME + ' ' + T.DATA_TYPE + ' NULL ' +

NCHAR(10)

FROM

information_schema.columns T

WHERE

T.[COLUMN_NAME] LIKE 'IsActive%' -- Put the correct where condition here

SELECT @sql

"Keep Trying"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply