DTC Error

• Hello All

Why do we get this error?

Error Source : Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package

Error Description : The Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC service) is not available

Any help is appreciated!

TIA.

Thanks!

Viking

• Have you checked that the Distributed Transaction Coordinator is started on the server itself?

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• Yes, the DTC services are up and running in the SQL Servers. This DTS package transfers some data from one environment to other. And we run this package thro' a intermediary server.

Say the DTS package "A" is configured on instance A, transferring data from instance A to instance B. We run this package from a server which has only client tools installed.

I hope the situation is clear.

TIA

Thanks!

Viking

• One thing that maybe happening is that network transactions are disabled in server 2003, and must be explicitly enabled.  Take a look at this article and verify the settings are correct on your machines.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=817064

Kindest Regards,

Paul Krasucki, MCAD

• DTC has to be running on all three servers, instance A, instance B and the server with client tools only.

• OK. Thanks to all for your valuable feedback.

Let me mention another happening here.

I have a package B configured on a diff. instance "RAB" which extracts monitoring logs from all env. instances and dumps data into "RAB". This package B is also executed from the instance where only client tools are installed.

Why doesn't the error appear for this package?

TIA for all your help!

Thanks!

Viking

• From what you have provided, it is difficult to give you any precise answer or help you in going in any particular direction. It is not always associated with just starting the DTC, the problem could be in any place.

- Are there any other packages that run from this 'only client tools installed' server?

- Do these packages run okay and only this one fails?

- Are the other packages dramatically different from this package?

The problem could lie in any of the following places or more:

- Correct services not being started on the server (or one of the culprit servers).

- Could be a firewall.

- Correct port number might not be open.

- Default gateway could be wrong

- Domain permissions or network traffic authentication might be an issue (I am not an expert in this area)

- Windows Security might be an issue.

You will have to look at all these and maybe more if you cannot yet solve it.

My 2 cents.

• OK. Thanks for the reply. I think I will recheck and get back to the forum.

Thanks!

Viking

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply