DTC Problem

• Dear all,

I am running a SP from MSDE on a Win2K machine.  The SP accesses a remote SQL 2000 Server (Win2K as well) using the OPENROWSET function.  Everything worked fine until I added BEGIN TRANSACTION .. COMMIT TRANSACTION code in my SP.  Now I get the following error: "[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]"

The interface is written in VB6 and DTC Service is running on both machines.  However, I do not know whether this service is enabled for network access.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andreas

• 1. You have to make sure that DTC IS enabled for network access FIRST

2.are both boxes on same domain ?

* Noel

• Dear Noel,

Unfortunately, I do not know how to enable DTC for network access.  The 2 boxes are not on the same domain.  MSDE box dials an ISP and tries to connect to SQL 2000 Server which is isolated (DMZ) from the rest of my network.  A firewall prompts the user for authentication.

Regards,

Andreas

• Can you check if This fix it?

* Noel

• As noeld said make sure to read the knowledge base article. Also follow the link to all the referenced articles as well. My guess is you are running Win2003 and need to set up the MSDTC correctly before it'll work. I've had that problem several times myself.

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply