DTS failing in SQL Server 2005

• I have a developer that is fighting going to SSIS, they are more comfortable with DTS and I have to support it.

They have a DTS package that gets data from an Access database, transforms it, and puts it into a SQL Server 2005 database. This package works fine for them when they execute it. I can execute the package and have it work. But if it is in a job, it is failing and I haven't been able to figure out the solution. The error is:

Description: Unable to load the package as XML because of package does not have a valid XML format. A specific XML parser error will be posted. End Error Error: 2007-03-09 05:00:02.21 Code: 0xC0011002 Source: {570F75FF-0EB6-4565-9B2D-237727B1755D} Description: Failed to open package file "Update Data from Access.dts" due to error 0x800C0006 "The system cannot locate the object specified.". This happens when loading a package and the file cannot be opened or loaded correctly into the XML document. This can be the result of either providing an incorrect file name was specified when calling LoadPackage or the XML file was specified and has an incorrect format. End Error Could not load package "Updat. The step failed.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to resolve it? It's strange (to me) that I can run the DTS package by itself and it works, but if I run the job it fails.

-SQLBill

• Did you install SQL 2005 DTS addins "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" on the server...

If not, install before running the job....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• If you have the DTS Designer components installed and the package still does not work, then get hold of Filemon fron sysinternals.

If you run Filemon while your DTS package is running, it should help identify any failed folder and file accesses.  These could be due to permission problems or to missing components.  When you know exactly what is failing, you may be able to identify a solution.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Yep, installed the DTS Designer components and the Backwards Compatibility parts.

-SQLBill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply