DTS failing to connect.

• Hey all,

I am getting really confused with an issue i am having with DTS.

If I compare 2 packages i have side by side this is what i can tell you.  DTSA is the working one, DTSB is the failing one.

Both connect through the same user

Both do updates to the same database

DTSB does inserts to the database

DTSB creates files on the network and emails them.

Both email out mails to say they various stages fail/suceed. DTS B doesnt get that far.

Both Work when manually triggering it

DTSA works on schedule

DTSB doesnt work on schedule.

So DTSB fails with an error of

The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 143 (Installation Creator).  The last step to run was step 1 (Installation Creator).
    Executed as user: domain\user. DTSRun:  Loading...      Error:  -2147467259 (80004005); Provider Error:  17 (11)      Error string:  [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.      Error source:  Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server      Help file:        Help context:  0.  Process Exit Code 1.  The step failed.

Now i cant work it out - as i cant see how this could be security as it has the correct rights for stage, and the connection is identical to the DTSA.

SQL 2k on a 2k server BTW.

Thanks

Any ideas?

Dan

• This is puzzling.  Here are some questions I have.

Does the connection to SQL Server in each server use a trusted connection or do you specify a SQL login/password in the connection string?  If you use the latter, the login and passwords are the same?

Did you schedule both DTS packages to run from the same server?

Does the package execute any steps in the package or does the package itself not execute?  Are the packages set up to log to a SQL Server (package properties, then Logging tab)?  Are they logging to the same server or not?

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply