DTS - import from CSV problems - "comma space" delimited

• Hi all,

I am having some problems correctly importing data from CSV files that have a space after each comma.  The CSV file has a mix of text and int fields, and the text fields are encapsulated with double-quotes (ie "Fred"). 

A sample line would be:

"Fred", "11-01-2006", 27, "Happy Birthday"

When I try to import this with DTS, the text fields get hung-up on the spaces and I get { "Fred"} instead of {Fred} (brackets added to show space and quotation marks).

Any ideas appreciated.  I am trying to get around importing everything in as varchars and cleaning the "s and spaces up after the DTS import.

Does SSIS handle this better?

Thanks,

Rob

• You can try to change the Transformations in the data pump to use an ActiveX script.  You can then TRIM the first space off in the ActiveX script.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• If you're using SQL 2005, you may use CLR and have a Regular Expressions to parse the csv string.

Assuming the csv record is less than 8K you may import the csv record as one string. Then with a CLR stored procedure break the records down.

I use the following Regular Expression to parse my csv data in VB.Net.

Dim aryValues() As String

Const sPattern As String = ",(?=(?:[^""]*""[^""]*"")*(?![^""]*""))"

Dim rex As System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex = _

New System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex(sPattern)

aryValues = rex.Split(psRecord)

aryValues(x).Replace("""", "").Trim   'x is your array position

...remaining code to insert or update the table.

I have not applied the code with SQL CLR but it's a thought.

• On the csv source in you DTS package, be sure you have the Text Qualifier set to Double Quote ".  It sounds like it may be set to none.

hth

• I ran into this problem too. I opened the csv file in a text editor (free one is Notepad++) saved it as a .txt and was able to import the .txt file cleanly into SQL2005 using the import functions. 

• Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion!  That pointed me in the right direction.

Actually the activex trim function of { "Fred"} made the string import as {"Fred"} (with quotes) into the SQL Server table - even though I specified that double quotes was the text qualifier.

So I ended up doing this in the activex transformation:

DTSDestination("name") = MID(DTSSource("Col001"),3,(len(DTSSource("Col001")) - 3))

and it gave me what I needed (turned { "Fred"} into {Fred})

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Rob

• Have you checked the properties of your source text file in your DTS package?  I have seen the problem you encountered, and the fix was to set the text delimiter to double quotes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply