dts & importing multiple txt files

• Hi

absolute novice at this but I have been tasked with

the following:

Given a dts "import text file" task and a bunch of files scattered in different directories, how do I get to them

and process each one from the pkg?

Also, the filename dictates which DB to select - how do I tell DTS which DB to switch to?

All this most probably, has been covered ad naseam -

any guidance would be greatly appreciated

regards

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Not sure I understand the first question - "how do I get to them?"  If the locations are fixed and you simply want to cycle through all files (perhaps with a particular name pattern) in the appropriate directories, that is (fairly) easily done in ActiveX scripts.  There is a good example of looping through objects at sqldts.com: http://www.sqldts.com/Default.aspx?246

Changing the DB name is the same thing - use ActiveX to parse out the desire connection name and then modify the DTS connection object.

Good luck,

Larry

Larry

• Hello Larry,  et al

the major stumbling block is basically that I know zip

about activeX and therefore am a bit reluctant about using it.

(Although, going through BOL, I see that many of the advanced topics

have examples using it - so I reckon I'd better look at it more seriously)

Yes, the problem is a common one, and yes, I did manage to arrive

at a non-activeX 'solution' of sorts: using the "for.." cmd in the humble MSDOS batch file,I eventually managed to get my files into a table!

Thanx for the advice & the URL,will definitely visit   

regards

hb

• Hi Larry,

I checked the url but I seem to have a problem with the package because it seems only one file(they are CSV files with the last few digits as dates) is loaded several times into the database. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for your anticipated help.

Sam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply