DTS in Server 2005 - What is comparable in Server 2008 R2

• My company recently upgraded to Sequel Server 2008 from 2005. I am used to saving my work as a DTS package and then scheduling the package to be updated nightly. I can't seem to find that on our new server. What is the comparable option in 2008 R2? Thanks.

• DTS was a SQL 2000 and earlier feature, it was deprecated in SQL 2005. The replacement from SQL 2005 onwards is SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tried using the SSIS function, but then can't figure out how to schedule it or how to go in and change it.

• goofy_1969 (3/15/2012)

I tried using the SSIS function, but then can't figure out how to schedule it or how to go in and change it.

To create OR modify SSIS package you need to use Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). You can scheduled the SSIS package in a SQL Server agent job by choosing the step type "Integration Services Package".

Sujeet Singh

• Do I save it as a SQL Server or File System?

• Either. Saving them in SQL Server's a little easier.

SSIS isn't something you master in 10 minutes. Take some time, read the sections in Books Online.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Is there a book you recommend?

• Not offhand. Start with the SQL books online (product documentation)

Gail Shaw

• Assuming you have a test database, I would suggest doing a little research online, and then jumping in and poking around under the hood of SSIS. Although SSIS is a bit more involved that DTS, it also provides a very robust framework, that I am finding to be flexible and even a bit fun at times. 🙂

• Thanks for you help. I have found a couple books online that I am reading and playing with.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply