DTS package doesn't fully work in Win XP

• Hi,

I have a dts package in my VB application which works fine in WIN98,

but when I tried to run it in WIN XP Home, my dts package doesn't fully

work - only certain parts and the worst thing is that it doesn't give me

any error.

I'm supposed to use my dts package to generate some dbf files. Apparently,

the files were successfully generated but there are no data in it. This only

happens in winXP.

I went to this website "Redistributing DTS with your program

(http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?225)" and found out that I only need 3 dll

files to execute my dts packages in win98.

The dll files which I registered are dtspkg.dll, dtspump.dll, axscphst.dll.

I'm using MDAC 2.8.

Can someone tell me what is my problem?

Your help is much appreciated.

kelvin

• kelvin,

Without knowing more detail about your package steps or more about the VB app, this sounds like a permissions issue. As you know, security has changed quite a bit between Win98 and XP, so keep that in mind as you look at the security context you are in as each step in your package executes.

Where is the source data the package uses to create the dbf files?

If the source data is on a different machine, what OS is it and is it on the same domain or workgroup?

- JR

• What can I do to alter the security checking?

The packages are included in my exe. I used the Microsoft Studio Installer (msi) to create an installer for my clients. So when the user executes the exe file, I can say that there are no connections to other computers at all.

The weird thing is that my application occasionally works but most of the time, it fails. And when it fails there are simply no error messages at all.

Is there a way to see the log error on my client machine knowing that there are no SQL Server installed on it???

• I found the solution to this problem.

It's not the dll that's missing.

It's actually the priority of task in the OS.

I changed the DTS execution parameters.

1st change:

I limit the maximum no of task executed in parallel to lower than 2. Originally

it was 4.

2nd change:

I set the priority class of the DTS package to high. Originally it was normal.

Once I have done these 2 changes my results were no longer weird. All my data

in dbf files are properly populated.

I suppose that the OS is concurrently executing too many tasks hence may have 'neglected' the execution packages, maybe. This is the reason I could

think of.

Hopefully this helps those who are encountering the same problems as I did.

Thanks to those who have tried to post your opinions/guidance.

regards,

kelvin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply