DTS Package Failed

• Hi,

I am a beginner when it comes to DTS Packages and I need help. I have a package on the server that grabs a text file from a network drive every day and imports it in my database. When I run the package, this process succeeds but when I schedule it to run every day it fails. The error message says that it can find the path specified. I don't understand why it works when I manually execute the package and it fails if it is a scheduled job. Thank you very much for any responses.

• Dragan,

I would check and ensure that whomever is set to be the "run as" has permissions to get to the directory where the file lives.  If this is running as sa you may have a problem.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I ran into this problem a couple weeks ago.  Found that if I gave the SQL machine (not a user) access to the folder on the network with all privs EXCEPT FULL CONTROL, then the SQL Server SYSTEM account could take care of business.

Butch

• It also may be a mapped drive problem. When you run a DTS package from your system, it runs on your system and uses your client's mapped drives. The server may not have those drives mapped. Make sure to set it up as a UNC connection so the server can find it.

Shalom!,

Michael Lee

• Thank you very much for your replies. I will try your suggestions.

• Also check to ensure that your package is running under a real user rather than the local administrator account.

• When you schedule the job it runs under SQL Server Agent's security context. Check the account it runs under and make sure it has permission to access the network drive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply