DTS Package Security

• I know you need to be a member of the sysadmin group to update a DTS package not owned by you.  Since when one of the developers try this they recieve the error "Only the owner of dts package "blah blah" or a member of the syadmin roll can create new versions of it"  Is there a way around this that does not involve adding them to the sysadmin role?

Any Help would be appreciated.

• You could put an owner password on the package and tell the developer what the password is.  To add the password you'll have to do a "save as" and give it a new name along with the owner password.

Greg

Greg

• Yeah, I thought of that but it still does not work. 

• Try adding the developer to the TargetServersRole role in MSDB and grant EXECUTE permission on sp_add_dtspackage and sp_get_dtspackage to TargetServersRole.  You could also create a custom user role in MSDB if you don't want to mess with TargetServersRole.

Greg

Greg

• TargetServersRole is not needed to handle creation/modification of DTS packages. In msdb the TargetServers role doesn't have any explicit permissions not already assigned to public. It does, however, have the ability to view on jobs through the view sysjobs_view and is needed to manage jobs if the user isn't a sysadmin.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Aah, you're right, of course, Brian.  It just happened that TargetServersRole had been granted permissions to execute the DTS stored procedures on the server I looked at.

Greg

Greg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply