DTS package won''t read an ini file unless run in server context - why?

• I have a package which won't run reliably and can't understand why. In production, a SQL job runs the DTS package, which uses a Dynamic Properties task to read an ini file and set such things as Connection object UDL pathnames, global variable values, and Execute Package task server names. This Dynamic Properties task fails fairly often.

This morning I watched an operator try to run the package using Enterprise Manager on his own pc, so in his own context. He just opened the package and tried to execute it task by task. The Dynamic Properties task is the first one in the flow, and it failed, saying that it could not open the ini file. The operator could open the ini file himself using Notepad, so clearly permissions should not be an issue.

Next the operator tried the same thing, but this time used Remote Desktop to get onto the server. The package ran without a hitch.

Other package we have that do exactly the same thing (SQL job, same owner, similar time of run, ini file in same folder, setting same sorts of things) are fine.

What should we investigate?

Thanks,

Bill

• Dts packages run on the client so you will find that if you are referencing the c: drive to locate the ini file, the c: drive will be the client NOT the server.

That's why running the package on the server works OK.

Choices are:

Replicate the ini file on the client that you are running the package from.

Or, map a network drive to the location of the ini file. This is more risky as everyone needs to have the same drives mapped.

Or, create a dfs name to the location of the file. OK as long as you never change the dfs names.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply