DTS Problem

• Hi, Can anyone help ?

I have a server running SQL Server 2000 and Outlook. I created a DTS package which calls a Visual Basic program. The VB program creates a spreadsheet which is then attached to an email and sent. When I run the DTS package manually, it works fine. When scheduled, the package runs, the spreadsheet is created, but the email is not sent. There are no errors in tha package log. Has anyone any idea what the problem could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Philip

• I presume you are sending the mail from xp_sendmail rather than through vb...

If so, maske sure the account that sql server agent runs under is associated with the mail account being used.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• If you are using the send email task in DTS, make sure that you are logged into the server (either directly or via Termserv) as the SQL Server Agent account (I assume that you have Outlook installed and configured to use this account. If not, you have to do this first). You have to be logged in as the SQL Server Agent account in order to conigure the Send Email task correctly - it's a pain, but it will work. XP_sendmail may be an easier route if you're having trouble.

• There was a great article written on this subject right here at SQLServerCentral !

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/glarsen/sqlmailusingpop3andsmtp.asp

Cheers,

Alex

Rogue DBA

• Hi

The mail is being sent thru VB and not using the DTS send mail feature.

Thanks

Philip

• In that case, you will find that when you run the package, it is running it against your nt login account and using your outlook mail box.

When you run it on the scheduler, you are using whatever account the sql server agent is using. You must have outlook installed on the server and have it configured to use the mailbox of the sql server agent account.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply