DTS refuses to be scheduled

• Hi *

I have a DTS who runs perfectly if I run it directly, but if I schedule it the Job starts, but nevers ends, no error msgs nor anything, just "Executing..." stats.

SQL Agent is with sa account, so is not a permissions issue. All other jobs run fine also.

I've used Save As to create a new copy and created another job for him (and deactivated other job), but still the same happening.

Any help?

PD. manually 35 mins, job been until 11.5 hrs when I cancelled it. :-\

• Need to know a bit more about what the DTS package does. Post general things like, "Update a table" and "Read a file" so you don't reveal anything that might be sensitive about your organization.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Sure, DTS just import some data from Oracle. Data go to temp tables & after copy them to prod tables.

I've recently removed/reinstalled Oracle Client due some problems.

DTS ran fine before these changes, but now is when this happens.

I've done manual runs from my desktop and from direct server desktop too.

I dont' understand what's happening. I thought it was some kind of caching (of old parameters), but now I know that no dts cache is enabled in the server. That's takes me out of ideas.

• If the only change has been the Oracle client, I'd start there. Is the Oracle client the same version as before? Were there any other configuration settings, etc.?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Yes, is the same version (same installation CD) and is the only change to server.

And if is something like that ocurring... Why run manually and not programatically? :-\

• It might need an active console or something along those lines. Not saying that's the reason, but I have seen programs like that. However, if that's been the only change, it's logical to start looking there.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi Mithrandir,

Do you debug the DTS with the message box (VBScript) to check what is the portion the DTS halted.

Don't make it complex, make sure you remove any user handling part, such as message box and input box. If there are any user handling part, job will be show running but halted at that point infinity to wait for user intervention.

Regards,
    kokyan

• I have the following solution:

Go to Managment, jobs edit job that Dts Schedule created, steps edit, copy command, create another Job(Not use schedulle in DTS) "with another name", steps past the command that you copied.

• There are a couple of things that could be going on.  My thought is that the versions of the Oracle drivers on your workstation and on the server are different.

When you run the package manually, I believe that the code executes on your workstation, not on the server.  Try running it manually from the server.

Also, I have experienced problems with Oracle driver upgrades.  Moving from 8i to 9i does not neccesarily work if teh 8i drivers are in memory when the upgrade is made.  If your production server had the drivers in memory when you upgraded, it may still be using the old drivers even though the new drivers have been installed.

• I once had a similar problem and it was to do withthe scheduled job notification hanging - the job step itself completed but the agent process got hung on the notification. You could check the job history and show step details to see if the step completed - if all the steps completed but the job is still running that could be it. Also check the agent error log.

• I don't know what to say, after a few hours more of tests I thought in jshorts's comment and I realized that I've never restarted server after Oracle client installation.

I've doubt for a moments (is a production server), but I did it.... That's it Job finally finished. 😀

I'm a little embarrased for haven't tryed that before :-(, but... finally my server is completly on the road again 🙂

Thank you all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply